Part 2: Chapter 28: Roar

Start from the beginning

Atlas swallowed at the thought, realizing that his pace faltered at the sudden recollection. As he always did to regain his focus, Atlas shook his head and looked forward – his body moving so fast it felt as if it was nearly floating. His prey was right up ahead, completely unaware of his approach. Atlas felt a smile tug at the skin around the corners of his maw as he saw the trees break and the edge of the cliffside that was fast approaching. His nostrils flared, determining where exactly his opponent was as he prepared himself. Seizing the moment, Atlas dropped to be upon all fours, muscles flexing as he moved. Then, as the edge of the cliffside came up to him and naked flesh felt the open air, Atlas launched himself from the high perch. Green pools wild and filled with the image of his unsuspecting prey – Titus who sat waiting in the flowery field with his back turned to him. Like a hawk, his body dived downward, poised to make a direct hit. A battle cry of sorts tore from his throat, arms outstretched as he became just a few feet from his target. However, to his dismay, Titus suddenly rotated his head – looking determined and cunning. Then – their bodies collided, the ground tremored and the sky and earth traded places. Atlas growled, trying to determine which way was up all the while his teeth looked to pinch flesh. They slowed, but suddenly Atlas found himself upon his back staring straight up at his prey that smiled broadly as he pinned him into the blanket of yellow flowers.

At this, Atlas held no sense of defeat or mortification – this was the reaction he was searching for. With the playful side of him sparking, the titan squealed with elation before releasing a toying growl, lifting his feet up to press them into his Mentor's chest as he softly swiped at Titus's face. At this, the older titan huffed before encasing his hand around Atlas's head, shaking it briefly before pulling away to lower himself to attempt in getting a nibble out of his shoulder. Of course, to win the fight, Atlas quickly went for his ace in the hole, sitting up quickly to take a lock of Titus's hair in his teeth and pulling with a high pitched rumble – with the larger Titan flinching, letting out a huff before pushing him back down into the earth but not without a few strands of hair ripped out. Atlas couldn't help but smile, thankful that his Mentor was always willing to take part in his childish tussling.

" YOU KNOW... IF YOU WANT TO SURPRISE... YOUR PREY... DON'T MAKE NOISE... BEFORE YOUR ATTACK." Titus smiled softly, releasing him from his hold to sit up and get comfortable for the impending lesson, eyes peering at him expectedly.

Atlas purred, spitting out the black strands of hair and quickly getting to his feet and approaching the waiting Mentor. Almost roughly, the younger titan excitedly pressed his brow against Titus to exchange the traditional Advancer and Mentor greeting, the old Hunter rubbing his head at the impact before he himself excitedly sat down in waiting. Atlas's ears wiggled, his body trembling at the thought that they were about to begin with what he had been yearning to learn.

Titus then settled once again, an easy grin upon his face. " BEFORE WE START... THERE ARE... THINGS... I MUST... SAY."

Atlas smiled, trying to get himself to settle down to where he didn't look like an enthusiastic hound at the presence of their master's return. His spine straightened, ears erect in preparation. To his surprise, Titus's face suddenly bore a more serious look, granted the warmness was still there but there was a sternness. The larger titan sat up, chest puffed to display his superiority. Titus then cleared his throat.

" ATLAS... I KNEW YOU... WERE GOING TO BE... SOMETHING FROM DAY ONE. I... ENJOYED... EVERY MINUTE RAISING YOU... EVEN THOUGH... I WAS... OFTEN BAD AT IT." Titus huffed, bringing a small smile to his maw before his Mentor continued. " LAST YEAR... I TOLD YOU... THE TRUTH ABOUT YOU. KNOWING... THAT... I STILL PICKED YOU... TO BE MY ADVANCER."