NINE

𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘢 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘷𝘦, 𝘦𝘯𝘫𝘰𝘺.

♥️

C H A P T E R N I N E

D A Y N I N E

Once Scar drifted into sleep, I gently lifted her hand, intertwined with mine, and carefully moved it aside as I eased out of the bed. Sliding the blankets down, I quietly stepped out of the room, making my way to my home office.

A smile played on my lips as I settled into my workspace. I knew that if I didn't share the bed with Scar, she would likely stay awake. On nights when I needed to work late, I had to maintain the façade of a regular day, pretending to sleep until the opportune moment to slip away. I ensured to return to bed before Scar woke up, always earlier than me, to avoid suspicion.

Right now, she probably doesn't have the energy to look for you.

Sighing, my thoughts circled back to recent events. What happened in the club had unfolded, and there wasn't much I could do about it now except care for Scar.

With my mind still going back and forth on to the recent events, I decided to immerse myself in work to distract from the thoughts haunting me.

Let's start with the basics of the new firm in London.

I delved into the architectural design of the new office building, the lines and angles becoming a welcome get away from the chaos in my mind. Every stroke on the blueprint felt like a step away from the shadows of the night at the club.

The blood in Scars hand.

The terrified look on her face.

The failure I had been.

I kept myself as busy as I could and continued with the designs until the clock ticked relentlessly, it struck 3 am, and I realized it was time to put an end to the day.

Go back to the night mare.

Despite the tiredness settling in, the weight of worry for Scar lingered. She was mine to take care of, mine to love.

Mine.

With that thought in head I decided to call it a night and head back to the warmth of our shared bed.

Before rejoining Scar, I felt the need to freshen up in the washroom. The soft glow of the nightlight cast a gentle illumination as I washed away the weariness from my face. The mirror showed back a tired version of me, a contrast to the usual composure I maintained.

I was always overworked, but happy.

I liked to give my full energy to things I loved, I loved what did for a living and while work was exhausting it also felt rewarding.

Except you could not give your hundred percent to your wife.

I took a moment to collect myself, staring into the mirror. The events at the club still lingered, but a newfound determination to be there for Scar pulsed within me. Sighing, I straightened my posture, resolving to face whatever lay ahead.

As I turned to walk out of the washroom, my eyes fell upon the drawers, left slightly ajar.

I pulled the drawer open to shut it down again properly until the huge number of medicines caught my attention.

I couldn't recall any prescriptions issued to me, and to the best of my knowledge, Scar didn't have any either, except for the brief period when she had started taking sleeping pills, a practice I had made sure was stopped immediately.