22. Childhood Tales

William

William thought he remembered home. Henry's presence proved otherwise. The laughter of his brother and the joy his smile wrought had always been bright in William's memories. The real picture was much better. He had never been so determined to end this war, to go home, to pretend like none of this had happened and he never left the sanctuary of his previous life.

"The days will be dull without your company," Charmaine said from the chair she occupied at the back of the medical tent. Henry took up the seat beside her, both staying out of William's path while he tended to two soldiers suffering from an awful cold.

"Do not compliment him so openly. It will all go to his head," William teased.

"Ignore him." Henry leaned towards Charmaine. "Compliment away. I am worthy of them."

William rolled his eyes and covered the soldiers with blankets. Both had taken medicine. Their droopy eyes closed, and William joined Henry at the back of the tent. He acquired another chair so the three could sit together. This had been the most at home he had felt since his inscription. He couldn't imagine losing it again.

"How long will the journey home take?" Charmaine asked.

"About a month." Henry chugged a pint of wine. "Traveling the sea takes the longest, but once this war is over, the trip will be little more than a blink to you."

Charmaine wrung her hands together. A thin sweat formed across her brow. "I hope so."

"You should prepare yourself, William. Mother is unlikely to let you out of her sight once you're home."

"I can't wait," William admitted earnestly. He truly wanted nothing more. He didn't care if one thought him to be childish. The moment he returned, all he wanted was a hug from his family and to waste the days away with his mother. They would knit, like they used to, and read books together in the lounge. Hopefully, the garden would be in bloom and they could take a walk after cups of afternoon tea. William craved the mundane, the simple and quiet moments.

"It grows late. We should grab our evening rations," Charmaine suggested and the three rose. William exited the tent and came face to face with the last person he wanted to meet his brother.

"Good evening." Nicholas had an impish gleam to his eyes.

William threw a frantic look over his shoulder. Charmaine and Henry were steps away, chuckling about Henry spilling wine on his blouse. His older brother's often snagged a bottle from their father's office to drink and Henry could never hold his liquor. Apparently, that hadn't changed because he already had a flush to his cheeks that had nothing to do with the chill.

"What are you doing here?" William clutched Nicholas' wrist, intending to drag him into the shadows.

"Do not look so panicked. I merely wish to meet your brother."

"There is no need."

"There is every need. My curiosity requires it."

The tent flaps fluttered. William released the fae and offered his wide-eyed brother a calm smile. Henry cleared his throat and rolled his shoulders. "Good evening, sir Darkmoon."

William shouldn't have been surprised Henry knew Nicholas. They either spoke about what the mages had uncovered or Henry heard of him, at the very least.

"How polite, do call me Nicholas," he replied. "It is quite impressive what Heign's Magical Society has uncovered. It seems the Vandervult family has many adept mages among them."

William resisted the overwhelming urge to shove Nicholas into a darkened corner and slap him over the head. Charmaine was too, based on her wrinkled nose.