14. Traditions and Symbolism

Nicholas

Attention. Nicholas always reveled in it. He did so now, standing at the head of a wooden round table surrounded by seven of the thirteen human Generals and five other High Fae. He set his hands atop the table. A grin worthy of a beast spread over his features. The tent fell silent when he declared, "I can track Calix Fearworn."

"How?" asked Herald Price, a man unworthy of the title of General. Duke expressed once that Herald more than earned his position. Nicholas bet on those smooth hands and shivering disposition that Herald bought his position. Probably thought the young nurses would keep him warm at night for a chance of his prestige, but not even a foolish youth could fall for that ruse.

"In ways I will not divulge to you," Nicholas replied. "Or anyone."

The room scoffed and cursed, arguments growing that he ignored.

"It matters not if I share for none other than I can track him," Nicholas added. He listened to Calix now, the clinking of metal and shrieking of a beast. Making more monsters or perfecting them, no doubt. Hearing both caused an ache at the back of his neck, like the prick of a spear slowly pushing on his spine that he ignored. "He works in the northeast, a couple days travel on fae feet, although I remain unclear on what to expect. This could be his base of operations or a mere monster encampment, but there are many. Far more than we predicted and some we do not know. If they attack now, we would not be prepared for such numbers."

"Then we send scouts first," said General Wright, a far more respectable mortal than Price. Nicholas fought alongside Wright in battle twice. Unlike many, he rode towards death alongside his men and dealt deadly blows that even a fae had to respect.

"If the High Fae agree, let us send at least six of them to scout the area. Once they have a better lay of the land and forces, return to our encampment. We'll determine what move to make afterwards and the necessary troops to call in from the south," Wright finished.

"Should we risk waiting?" Morrison argued, another General. He turned his attention to Nicholas. "You claimed their forces are too great, that if they attacked now, we would be horribly outnumbered."

Nicholas nodded and allowed the noise of Fearworn's world to fade. He couldn't handle the strain and took a great breath that eased the echoing pain of his mind.

"Should we not remain as we are or retreat towards Lockehold to wait for further enforcement? There is no point calling troops that will end up replacing what we lost," Morrison added.

"Retreating is a waste of valuable energy. Our men may march all day only to be attacked when the sun falls. I think it best we remain where we are," Wright countered.

"The High Fae agree," Silas Bloodbane said among the once whispering fae. He stepped forward to speak further. "Our army should remain here, waiting and conserving energy, while our scouts move forward. Have the soldiers prepare for an assault by setting up more permanent defenses. Once the scouts return, we can decide on whether to wait or move."

The Generals murmured amongst one another and ultimately agreed.

"Do you have anyone in mind to travel with me?" Nicholas inquired, meeting Silas' pale eyes. White as snow and without pupils, the stare of Bloodbane always chilled.

"Once you inform our scouts of Fearworn's location, you may remain here. If Fearworn moves, you can inform the Generals while our scouts follow or return with further information," Silas argued. He had never been the type to care about Nicholas' safety, so that was Silas' mother speaking. The one who very much did care.

"Your life cannot be risked," Herald added. "As the only one who can track Fearworn who refuses to share how."

"And what happens if our scouts stumble upon him alone? They won't take him down without me," Nicholas countered. "I fought him in the forest. He'll annihilate any we send after him. This must be a battle between Shades."