13. Thankful Warnings

William

William hadn't slept so well in years, possibly since his recruitment. When he woke, crust covered his eyes. His body ached for more reasons than a deep sleep in an old carriage. He tried not to think of last night, of Nicholas' hands and vicious mouth exploring his body. Of those roseate eyes wickedly adoring him, reflecting his voracious hunger to remind him of the mistakes made. He especially refused to think of how he wanted more.

Shifting onto his elbows, he glared at the sleeping fae no doubt aware of the internal dilemma he set upon William. It's what he wanted; to push him, to evoke a reaction. Sometimes the bastard said the right thing at the right time because fae were calculating and, as he expressed, William stole his interest. Rather he gave him attitude when others didn't and fae were strange enough to find that a strangely desirable trait.

Sighing, he silently crawled out of the carriage. Charmaine stalked outside, hands wringing together to collect warmth and eyes trance-like. The sun had risen well past dawn. William couldn't recall the last time he slept in. As a child, he was allowed when ill, but otherwise was woken by a loud brother or the soft kiss of a parent. Here, danger lurked everywhere, so sleep eluded most.

"You can rest. I'll take the next watch," William called.

"Are you sure?" Charmaine's eyes narrowed on something. "There's a dark spot on your neck."

"Probably a bruise from yesterday's tussle." A tussle with a dumb ass fae who should have known not to leave visible marks, and he should have known better than to give in.

Charmaine took the bait, or was too tired to think otherwise. "I'll take a short rest then," she said, yawning.

"You can rest as long as you need. Once Nicholas wakes, I'll search for herbs." William threw Arden a glance. Although the fae slept, his wounds hadn't healed as much as William hoped. The Shadowed Disciples truly were a force to be reckoned with to down a fae for so long. And he had less power than he wanted to admit. The continuous days of little food and rest took its toll.

"We can't move with Arden like that, even if we are potentially close to the army," he added.

"Don't search for herbs alone," Charmaine lectured while shuffling towards the carriage. "Wake me so I may go with you."

William nodded, though had no intention of waking her. She needed rest and he wouldn't go far. Charmaine crawled into the space he previously occupied and shut her eyes. Shivering, he crossed his arms to maintain a smidge of warmth the carriage granted him. He took a moment to search the surrounding area, ensuring nothing lingered nearby. Charmaine had done the same, based on her footprints through the snow. William continued the circle, allowing the walk to warm him and the aching of his muscles to keep his thoughts at bay. At least until Nicholas crawled out of the carriage to catch up to him.

"Sleep well, my wicked?" he asked, catching William by the waist. The now far too familiar touch almost made him shiver.

He shifted out of Nicholas' clutches and marched on. "I said not to call me that."

"And I elected to ignore you." When William didn't respond, Nicholas skipped ahead of him. "Are you now electing to ignore me?"

William's eyes swept over Nicholas without his consent, still thinking of last night, of how little he truly saw in the dark and how he'd much rather see it in the light. Now that was a thought he elected to ignore.

"I am relieved you haven't changed this morning." Nicholas licked his devilish lips that tasted too sweet to belong to him. "It'd be no fun if you suddenly became bashful."

"If I play bashful, will you leave me be?"

"Try it and find out."

"It's always a game with you."