𝟏𝟕 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐈𝐧 𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐄𝐲𝐞𝐬

Start from the beginning

"Found one." Hyun-Su announced, his voice coming from a bedroom.

"Perfect." Hae-Rin said, watching the boy leave the bedroom with a big travelling bag. "Damn, that was a good find."

Hyun-Su shrugged.

The two returned to the hall and started packing everything useful and less damaged.

Eun-Hyuk had been right.

The whole fourth floor was covered in pieces of wood, broken metal, and random tools. And by tools, Hae-Rin meant hammers, nails, wires and whatnot. The floor seemed like it had been under repair, but it was never finished, and Eun-Hyuk might have seen that long before the apocalypse had started.

They were picking some metal pieces near an apartment door when Hae-Rin spoke up again.

"Doesn't this look like an octopus?" Hae-Rin asked.

She was careful enough to keep her voice quiet as not to alert the monsters. She and Hyun-Su were standing side by side, the bag left on the ground as they picked up things they thought would be of use. Then, once they were sure of them, they'd let them down into the bag. Quietly, of course.

"I don't see it?" Hyun-Su mumbled, frowning.

Hae-Rin scooted closer and pointed her finger to a dented shape in the metal she was holding.

"There." She said.

The dented part was quite small and Hae-Rin saw Hyun-Su squint his eyes to look. When he didn't notice anything, he leaned closer, his shoulder touching Hae-Rin's shoulder as his head came next to her, cheeks almost touching.

Hae-Rin's heart seemed to speed up.

She could feel Hyun-Su there, she could feel his presence like a shadow looming over her.

Hyun-Su was tall, taller than her at least, and with the way he was partly standing behind her and leaning over to look, he might as well have been a looming shadow.

"That just looks like a small circle with a bigger circle." Hyun-Su mumbled. "And... uh, a couple of lines inside the bigger circle."

Hae-Rin sealed her lips in order to not laugh.

It would be horrendous if she were to laugh and monsters arrived. She'd have no time to explain to Hyun-Su about the octopus and they'd be forced into a battle. Hae-Rin wasn't so sure she'd win that one. After all, she had been on the move too much in the past few days, and since she didn't have much energy or stamina, she was starting to feel the effects of exhaustion.

So, once she was calm enough and sure that she wouldn't burst out laughing, she started to talk; still pointing at the presumed octopus.

"It looks like a Cirrina Octopus." Hae-Rin explained.

"Cirr-what?"

"Cirrina Octopus." Hae-Rin repeated, keeping her voice even. She somehow felt too scared to look behind herself, to look at Hyun-Su. He was too close. "They are a deep-sea octopuses."

Hyun-Su hummed in acknowledgement, still looking at the metal and trying to find the octopus.

"So... how do these two circles make an octopus?" Asked Hyun-Su.

"Are you dumb or just playing dumb?" Asked Hae-Rin, snickering but smiling nonetheless. She then sighed and started explaining. "Cirrina Octopus' webbing or whatever that thing between its tentacles is, is longer than in other octopuses, I suppose. It can spread and stretch quite a lot, too."

"Really?" Asked Hyun-Su.

Hae-Rin was looking at the metal, trying hard not to look at Hyun-Su, who had turned his head slightly towards her.