And damn if this wasn't one of the craziest things that he's ever had to do in his entire life.

"So the first thing on our list is your priesthood training," Big Lou pointed out. "This is very important, O'Connor, I need you to sell this because that's our only way inside."

All Roman wanted was to be with Max and racking in millions and getting rid of his loan sharks was only one step closer to getting his fiancé back.

"Consider it done."

***

Surprising as it may seem, three months wasn't enough time for a crash course in catholic orthodox and planning a heist on the side.

The priest Roman was supposed to be taking over from had left the church without any notice. So far Big Lou had done a good job implanting Roman's doctored seminary records on the internet in case someone decided to Google him.

Somehow Roman was going to have to wing it.

St. Francis Xavier was a historic church found on Lake Michigan's North Shore. It had a temple-like façade, with stone pediment and columns, so stately across the street it could be mistaken for a colonial seat of legislature like Federal Hall on Wall Street. But its interior, with an altar of glided pilasters and crystal chandeliers and redolent of incense, displayed a subtle, ornate beauty.

The community was wonderful, honest and wrote each other notes for the simplest things.

Maybe in another life Roman would've considered being a priest. So far he wasn't too bad at the gig. Though the no sex part of it was going to be hard for him. No pun intended.

There was absolutely nothing to worry about. No loan sharks or cops to constantly think about.

Only Father Thomas Bradican, the bishop's sidekick has been what he'd braced for: cold stares and pointed Liturgy readings during meals as though he could see him—see through Roman's bullshit.

The bishop though, Bishop Loverde instantly liked him. The man was a golden retriever, all smiles and friendly waves.

When Roman left the vestry, he saw Bishop Loverde waiting for him, his hands folded together and his lips creased in a kind smile.

"Father Roman," he greeted warmly. "Will you walk with me?"

"Of course."

Roman couldn't get over how much had changed.

Three months ago, he was a godless lowlife on the run, and now he was the moral leader of an entire community in Chicago on his way to become a millionaire.

"I was just out on my morning power walk," said Bishop Loverde. "I thought I'd stop by to wish you good luck tomorrow."

"Uh... tomorrow?"

"Sunday. Your first Mass."

"Oh!" Roman said, feeling restless. "Right, big debut."

"Yes, I trust you will give us a service that will uphold the dignified standards of your predecessor."

If he was going to fool the Bishop, Roman had to learn the liturgy including the Bible from cover to cover. Turns out the Bible wasn't the problem.

It was everything else in between.

Retrieving the vault code was harder than what he and Big Lou had anticipated. Apparently the bishop was the only one who had the code and playing best buds with the man was Roman's only way to get it.

Then there was also Father Thomas. The thorn in his flesh.

"You don't happen to have any of those Masses on video, do you?" Roman said as the bishop turned around to face him with a cocked brow. "Because I'd kinda want to see how it's done. I mean...how it used to be done."

"You'll figure it out," the bishop laughed merrily. "Try to be yourself, the people will see you for who you are. Which would be... a young compassionate and progressive leader."

"Hey, thanks, Bishop Loverde." For nothing.

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something else."

"And what might that be, exactly?" Roman asked, voice low and tense.

"I'm sure by now you've seen the vault being kept in the vestry," he said. "I know you kids, curious minds."

Yes, talk dirty to me Bishop Loverde.

"Well, it's kinda hard to miss a gigantic titanium steel covering half of the room." Roman chuckled.

"Yeah about that," Bishop Loverde gave him a sharp look. "I might need you to unsee anything that has to do with that vault from today going onwards."

Roman had the audacity to sound confused. "I don't understand."

"The vault does not fucking exist," the bishop spoke in a firmer tone, his expression deadly. "Do you understand now?"

Roman's eyes grew big. He must admit the bishop had shocked him. He'd completely misjudged him for a golden retriever, the bishop was a shark. A ruthless one.

The silence between them spoke volumes until the bishop cleared his throat, voice softer.

"You must pardon my French, I didn't mean to startle you."

"Well, I'm not startled."

"Good talk then. I shall be on my way."

"Just curious Bishop Loverde," Roman eyed the older man with a tinge of nosiness. "Did the previous priest leave on his own accord or you made him leave for not being able to keep his mouth shut about the money laundering scheme you've got going back there?"

"Word of advice, Roman," the bishop replied oh so casual, walking away. "If you learn how to mind your business you'll be just fine and life will be far much easier for everyone."

"Is that supposed to be a threat?"

"Not really," the bishop's eyes found his unblinking ones. "Just good ol'  advice from a friend."