CHAPTER 9! we're done. if i ever see you again, i'm going to kill you

Start from the beginning

percy was careful to stand up without opening his eyes.

cherry had taken his place, standing in front of him.

that way, if anything happened, it'd happen to her.

that was the least she could do, right?

"maia." cherry shouted, and grover came falling down the roof of the building.

medusa turned to look at grover, and annabeth covered her head with the invisibility hat her mother had gifted her.

percy sliced her head off a second later.

he felt around on the ground, and picked it up.

"you found it?" annabeth confirmed.

"hope so." percy spoke, his voice monotone.

cherry was still silent.

she looked as if she'd seen a ghost.

nobody had ever seen her quiet. or sad.

« ───── « ʚɞ » ───── »

percy killed alecto using the medusa head.

grover and cherry remained in the shop.

neither of them knew what to say to each-other.

grover didn't want to believe his best-friend was an attempted murderer.

how could he?

he knew cherry hated percy, but not enough to try to kill his mom.

no, he knew cherry.

she wasn't like that.

was she?

percy and annabeth returned to grover and cherry's side. everybody was tense.

"what is it?" annabeth questioned, following grover's eyes to look at a certain statue.

"uncle ferdinand." grover answered.

"oh, no. grover, i'm so sorry." percy frowned.

"this is as far as he got on his quest. we aren't even to trenton. but look at him." grover chuckled, softly. "he's not like the others, he.. he doesn't look afraid. you used the, um- you used the head to get rid of alecto?"

"yeah."

"good. that was the right move. uh, we probably should get going. it'll be dark soon."

"but what are we gonna do with the head? i just took down a fury with it, and i wasn't even trying. we can't just leave it for someone to find. leave the hat on and bury it in the basement, that oughta keep it safe."

grover looked over at annabeth for approval.

her face seemed to fall a little.

"sure. now, can we talk about the bigger issue here?" annabeth asked.

"what bigger issue?" percy questioned.

"you could have saved your mother. that's what she said to you, like you discussed it already. is your mother still alive?"

"she's with hades. but i appreciate your concern."

"oh, i'm concerned. what are you actually doing on this quest? and why did i have to hear about this from medusa?"

"okay, while we're at it, you should have accepted my offer? what's that about do you think? and why did we have to hear it from alecto?"

finally, grover snapped.