CHAPTER 7! for the first and only time ever, i agree with percy

Start from the beginning

"we don't need help. we're fine."

"we're fine? we haven't even gotten to trenton, and we're wandering through a forest. i didn't even know they had forests in new jersey, but we've found one. i would say we're the opposite of fine."

"we were sent on a quest by the oracle, by the gods. what'd you think, it would be easy? it's supposed to be hard. that's why only certain people are chosen. if we call camp, we're basically saying it was a mistake to choose us."

"i'm completely comfortable with that. everyone makes mistakes."

"why are you so afraid of who you are?"

"what?"

cherry and grover made eye contact.

honestly, cherry was having the time of her life watching someone else argue with percy.

"you know, what's interesting about this particular satyr path is it's actually the one my uncle ferdinand took when he set out on his own quest." grover informed, with a smile.

"that's really interesting, grover." cherry high-fived him.

percy wasn't listening to either of them.

in fact, he was especially tuning out cherry's stupid, annoying, beautiful voice.

"what was that supposed to mean, afraid of who i am? i'm not afraid." percy scoffed.

"i think you're a little scared. i agree with annabeth." cherry grinned.

annabeth gave the girl a small smile.

"you aren't just a kid. just a kid doesn't do what you did to clarisse back at camp. just a kid doesn't have hades sending top lieutenants to retrieve them. you know, you are a part of something so much bigger than we can understand right now. we have to move forward, whether you like it or not, whether you want to or not." annabeth was quick to return to arguing with percy.

"you don't want to call camp, fine. then, at least let's call your mom." percy scoffed.

"excuse me?"

"athena? your mother. i'd call my father, but we aren't exactly on speaking terms. you know, because of the lifelong neglect and all, but you and your mother seem close. so, why don't we ask her for help?"

"grover, will you explain to your friend that he needs to pull himself together?"

"you can't ask her, can you? when was the last time she talked to you?"

"grover."

"i don't know why you keep pulling him into this. he's on my side."

"what makes you think that?"

"he's my protector, it's his job."

"he was my protector first."

"first? what do you mean first?"

the pair turned to look at grover.

cherry was quick to put an arm in front of the boy protectively.

"very exciting, getting to walk in uncle ferdinand's footsteps. next best thing to getting to talk to him again." grover spoke, awkwardly beginning to panic.

"grover does no wrong. don't look at him. leave him alone. this is awkward. percy, turn around." cherry instructed.

"what? for what?" percy glared.

"because i don't wanna look at you." cherry shrugged.

percy rolled his eyes.

he made eye contact with his best-friend.

"thalia, luke, and annabeth had a satyr protector. that was you. why didn't you tell me?" percy questioned.

"do you guys smell that?" grover sniffed the air.

"grover, i'm not kidding.."

"no, neither am i. just shush. hamburgers."

birds chirped in the distance.

grover led the trio behind him through the forest.

"grover. what are you doing?" annabeth questioned.

"somebody's making hamburgers in the middle of nowhere, on a satyr path. whoever it is, they're from our world." grover nodded.

the group of four followed the path.

finally, the forest divided, and led them in front of a shop.

there were a bunch of stone figurines around the area, all hyper-realistic.

"oh, come on." annabeth complained.

"what?" grover questioned.

"aunty en has a garden full of petrified stone folks. yeah, this is someone from our world, all right. anyone wanna guess what em is short for?" annabeth spoke, shaking her head.

"oh." percy realized.

"medusa?" cherry frowned. "she deserved better than what happened to her."

annabeth gave the red-haired girl a strange look. "let's get out of here, please, while we still can."

unfortunately, when they all turned around, alecto was waiting for them.

percy pulled out his sword, and cherry rolled her eye at the entire situation.

"don't worry, guys. percy is gonna save us." cherry complained, with absolutely no faith in him.

"you should have accepted my offer when you had the chance." alecto stated at percy.

"offer? what offer is she talking about?" percy questioned.

annabeth didn't answer.

heeled footsteps approached, and percy glanced over.

no, cherry wasn't moving.

"not today, friends. not on my doorstep." a woman's voice called out. "if you have something to resolve, why not come inside and i'll help? alecto? will you be joining us? no, well i wouldn't think you would. she won't bother you as long as you're with me. but it isn't as though she'll leave either, not if it means reporting that she failed to retrieve the son of poseidon."

everybody had closed their eyes as soon as medusa had shown up, ducking their heads in fear.

"hi!" cherry greeted, with her eyes closed.

she waved in the general direction that she assumed medusa was in.

"how did you.." percy trailed off.

"a forbidden child has been claimed. how long did you think that secret would keep? it's a pleasure to meet you, son of poseidon. i'm medusa." the woman greeted.

percy began to raise his head.

annabeth was quick to stop him.

"percy, don't. she's a monster." annabeth stopped him.

"we all choose who we make our monsters, but, right now, that one wants to tear you limb from limb, and i'm offering you lunch. the choice is yours." medusa returned to the house.

"i think we can trust her." percy nodded.

"what!" annabeth spoke, looking up

"dude." grover shook his head.

"i can't explain it, i just.. my mom used to tell me her story. and the point was always that she isn't what people think. and i definitely trust my mom. so i'm going in. you guys do what you want." percy explained himself, looking throughout the trio.

both grover and annabeth looked uneasy.

"for the first and only time ever, i agree with percy. i trust that woman with my life." cherry nodded. "and i really want a burger."

percy resisted smiling.

maybe she wasn't as bad as he thought.

"besides, if she tries to kill me, i'll sacrifice percy." cherry grinned.

no, she definitely was as bad as he thought.

"i hope she petrifies you." percy rolled his eyes.