Christmas

Yunjin woke up with a heavy feeling in her chest. As much as she wanted to fall back asleep while Chaewon was quietly snoring on her chest, she couldn't.

She checked the clock and sighed when it was still four in the morning. Christmas should have been a happy holiday, especially for the Kim family. But the argument they had the other night was still ingrained into her brain and she couldn't stop thinking about it.

Maybe she really wasn't supposed to be here. Thinking that she should have left their house once she found her footing in Japan. But the thought of her and Chaewon not happening sent a heavy pang on her chest. The memories with Chaewon and Eunchae were so precious to her that she wouldn't turn back time to erase them.

Yunjin closed her eyes for a moment, taking a deep and stable breath and then exhaling it slowly. She's hoping that the gifts she got for everyone would at least put a smile on their faces. Though, she felt a bit guilty when she realized she was only thinking about her two girls and not Chaewon's brother.

Man, she really wanted to see her mom right now. Or have Christmas dinner with her and her sister. It would have been perfect if Chaewon and Eunchae joined in as well. But this was her reality.

She didn't hate Kai for saying all of that to her. It was understandable. Yunjin was only staying here as a favor. But it felt right for her and Chaewon that she stayed because they loved each other. Chaewon said it herself that she wanted her to stay.

It just felt awful when he said she should move out. Because she knows deep down inside she doesn't want to. She didn't want to listen to him. But he is the authority in this house, he is the one who's providing for them. But sometimes she couldn't help but think that she could have done that so easily as well. She had the money, and she loved this family too much.

Yunjin's thoughts were interrupted when her phone started to light up at the bedside table. She slowly maneuvered herself to pick it up and unlocked her phone.

4:25 AM

Minji: Hey guys.

Minji: I know it's early to announce but it's important.

Minji: Hanni and I had a bit of an issue with the venue, which affected the date of the wedding. We decided to move it to April 8. Which is perfect because it'll be at the start of spring.

Minji: Yunjin, have you booked the tickets? It's perfect because Eunchae won't have school anymore so she can definitely make it to the wedding.

Minji: What do you think?

Yunjin: It's definitely perfect.

Yunjin: I haven't booked the tickets yet but maybe I will today, so it won't be so expensive when it's nearing April.

Minji: Cool! Let me know!

Minji: Also, why are you up so early?

Minji: Merry Christmas, by the way!

Yunjin contemplated when Minji asked that question. She wasn't sure if she wanted to tell her friends about what happened with Chaewon's brother. But she knows very well that she wasn't going to get anything if she held it in.

Opening up wasn't really on her agenda right now, but she felt so vulnerable at that moment.

4:31AM

Yunjin: Can't sleep. Too many thoughts in my head.

Yunjin: But Merry Christmas guys!

Ryujin: Merry Christmas.