Chapter Five-An Interesting Gathering

The night finally came. Ironpaw was sitting under the Frostrock with excitement, hoping that he was chosen for the Gathering.

"Berrystripe, Timberpool, Scorchfoot, Snakescar, Puddlebreeze, Volesplash, Crimsonstorm, Spiketooth, Ironpaw, Coalwhisker, and Batpaw are coming for tonight's Gathering. And of course, Icystep, Cloudnose, Shimmerpaw and I will come too. " Juniperstar announced. She was standing on the Frostrock, gazing down at her Clan. The full moon shone brightly behind her, and covered her pelt in silver lights.

"I hope we don't bump into foxes on the way..." Icystep commented.

Ironpaw jumped into the air with happiness. "We are going to the Gathering! We are going to the Gathering!" he exclaimed loudly. Stagpaw scuffed the ground half-heartedly. "And I am not going." He muttered under his breath, slightly disappointed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to..." Ironpaw tried to apologize, but Juniperstar butted into the conversation, leaping down from the Frostrock. "Stagpaw, it's also important to guard the camp while we're away. You know, there could be rogues attacking anytime...Rivereye or the others...You know the story, don't you?" She tried to cheer up the apprentice.

Stagpaw nodded reluctantly. "Yeah, the elders told me the story. If they dare to set their paws into the camp..."

Juniperstar winked at him. "I'm sure they would get their pelts ripped off, since you are guarding the camp today!"

Stagpaw puffed out his chest proudly. "You can be sure about that!"

Ironpaw blinked at Juniperstar with respect. She knew how to cheer up everyone, and she was the greatest leader he ever knew. Not like her mean deputy, Icystep, who seemed even grumpier today.

Ironpaw searched for Batpaw in the crowd. He then noticed his friend behind him. He turned to her. "Isn't it awesome that..." Ironpaw's words stuck in his throat.

The full moon illuminated Batpaw's black pelt, making it glimmer like the moon itself. She was covered by the warm rays of the silver light, making her more beautiful than ever. Ironpaw tried to finish the sentence. "I-isn't it a-awesome..." he stuttered. He couldn't drag his gaze from Batpaw.

"What is awesome?" Batpaw tilted her head, confused. "Ironpaw, are you okay?

Ironpaw ducked his head, realizing that he had been staring at Batpaw for a couple of heartbeats. "I-I..."

"C'mon, we're goin'!" Spiketooth stepped between them. Ironpaw blinked at his mentor gratefully. The situation was starting to get embarrassing. What in the world was that? He asked himself when the group padded out from the camp. He couldn't understand why he was like that. No matter how hard he thought about it, he still couldn't come up with a proper reason.

The only thing Ironpaw noticed was that the air was colder than ever. He shivered when an icy breeze roared past his ears. Clouds started to darken the sky, and he wondered if the snow might be coming.

And then Ironpaw noticed something even more odd. Spiketooth was padding next to him with an expression that was unusual for him. He looked...dreamy. There was excitement and happiness in his gaze, and something else that Ironpaw couldn't recognize, and he seemed to float a mouse-length above the hard forest floor.

And then, there was a root that needed to be leapt over, but Spiketooth tripped on it, rolling into the dust. He stood up, and smoothed his ruffled fur with embarrassed licks. Ironpaw stared at his mentor in confusion. Spiketooth seemed to have his head above the clouds, and that was the last thing that could happen. The senior warrior was always serious and calm, not this dreamy and clumsy! Ironpaw glanced at Batpaw, and he could see that she was thinking the same. The black-furred apprentice almost melted into the shadows, only her green eyes glowed like two bright stars. Those glittering green depths...