Chapter Four-Complicated Conflicts

"Let all cats old enough to hunt in the snow gather here for a Clan meeting!"

Batpaw poked her head out from the nursery. They just finished patching up the holes in the nursery's wall. She saw Puddlepaw and Volepaw in the center of the clearing, puffing their chest out in pride, and their eyes glimmering with excitement. Leopardleap and Adderclaw stood behind them. Leopardleap touched Puddlepaw's shoulders proudly with his tail, but Adderclaw didn't even praise her apprentice.

Batpaw tried to ignore her mother's coldness towards Volepaw as she padded to the clearing, with Ironpaw at her side. Snakescar, Coalwhisker and Spiketooth followed them closely.

"They are getting their warrior names!" Ironpaw whispered into Batpaw's ear. The silver-and-white tom looked excited. Batpaw stifled a purr. Her friend always craved to be a warrior. "They are so lucky! They can come to tonight's Gathering as warriors!"

"Gathering?" Batpaw asked, puzzled.

"Don't tell me you've forgotten!" Ironpaw rolled his eyes. "Tonight is a full moon!"

Batpaw laughed nervously. "Well, I hope we can go! We've been to a Gathering only twice!"

"I hope, too! I love Gatherings!" Ironpaw whispered back, settling down."

When everyone gathered, Juniperstar began the ceremony. "I, Juniperstar, leader of FrostClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as a warrior in their turn. Puddlepaw and Volepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do." The two siblings mewed in unison.

"Then, by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Puddlepaw, from this moment, you will be called Puddlebreeze. StarClan honors your compassion and kindness, and we welcome you as a full warrior of FrostClan.

Volepaw, from this moment, you will be called Volesplash. StarClan honors your cheerfulness and energy, (at this point, a quiet laughter ran through the crowd, even Juniperstar twitched her whiskers in amusement) and we welcome you as a full warrior of FrostClan."

The newly named warriors reached forward, and licked their leader's shoulder, while the cats chanted their names. "Puddlebreeze, Volesplash! Puddlebreeze, Volesplash!"

Batpaw cheered with the crowd, and so did Ironpaw. But from the corner of her eyes, she saw Icystep sitting quietly in his place on the Frostrock with a grudged expression. He didn't even cheer for Puddlebreeze and Volesplash, just murmured something under his whiskers. He looked down at them with a cold, scornful glance. Batpaw curled her lips. She knew that Icystep never liked the apprentices and the young warriors, but this was way too much. She began to understand why Spiketooth hated him.

She glanced at Ironpaw. Her friend didn't notice Icystep. Somehow, Batpaw was relieved. She didn't want him to be upset. She hated seeing him being upset. Ever since she first talked to Ironpaw, Batpaw felt like she had to protect him. He had no one to turn to, only Batpaw. She knew that she would do everything to keep him safe.

Sometimes, even she felt like she only had Ironpaw. Her mother, Adderclaw, was a good cat, but they never spent much time together. She never told Adderclaw about her feelings, she only spoke with her like a distant friend. Deep in her heart, she knew that her mother loves her, she was just a little...distant.

But Ironpaw was different. Batpaw talked to him every day, and she could tell everything to him. She genuinely liked him, and she was glad that he was there for her, because she needed him, too.