What Goes Up Must Come Down

Start from the beginning

Oh god.

That's why he looked so terrified of him. That's why he didn't let people in. He let his walls down and once I reciprocated, he shut down again. That explained his awful attitude ever since last night.

He didn't want me getting close.

I was pulled back into reality when I remembered that I was in a fight with 4 experienced punks. I felt a fist collide with my face before I was being thrown onto the ground. I shielded myself as they started kicking any free area they could find. I curled up in a ball, cringing at every blow.

Suddenly, I heard a familiar voice say something that I never thought I would hear it say.

"Hey! Leave him alone!"

I peeked up as Mitch launched himself onto Trevor's back before grabbing and clawing at his face.

Trevor let out a pained sound as he tried to shake Mitch off of him.

One of Trevor's friends yanked Mitch off of him, before throwing him to the ground.

"Mitchy, caring about someone besides yourself? It's like I don't even know you anymore," Trevor taunted, standing over me. "Risking your life for this piece of shit? Shame," he shrugged as he nudged me with his foot.

"What you don't seem to understand, Trevor, is that that's my piece of shit," Mitch declared confidently as he stood up, "And only I can treat him poorly."

I forced myself up before throwing punches, and shoving anyone I could.

"Scott!" Mitch yelled.

I looked in his direction, and ducked as a trash can was hurled in our direction.

The others didn't get the message fast enough, and were hit with it.

Mitch ran towards the car and I did the same. I yelled out as Trevor grabbed my hood and yanked me back.

I spun around, ripping out of his grip, and throwing a sloppy punch. He stumbled back enough for me to climb into the car and pull the door shut. I started the car and floored it, before looking at Mitch who was breathing heavily with wide eyes.

I breathed heavily as well, in a slight shock since I'd made it out alive.

We took a few moments of silence to calm down. Then Mitch continued to surprise me.

"How badly are you hurt?" He asked as he looked me over.

"I thought you didn't give a shit about me since you're just my charity case," I teased, trying to lighten the mood, but he didn't even smile.

"Are you ok?" He reiterated.

"Yeah, just gonna have a bunch of bruises tomorrow, and be in some major pain," I replied.

"I told you to stay in the car," he stated firmly. It wasn't sassy or rude like everything he usually said, he sounded genuinely upset.

It was nice to see that he cared about my well-being, even if he wouldn't admit it.

"I'm sorry," I murmured, trying to focus on the road.

He sighed before staying silent for a couple of minutes, "We don't have to go out tonight if you don't want to," he stated.

"Nah, its fine. It doesn't really hurt right now. I'm all up for a night out. You got the ID right?" I asked.

"Yeah," he replied, "What did Trevor tell you?" He blurted out.

"Probably exactly what you think he told me," I replied after a brief silence.

He sighed in annoyance before slouching in his seat.