51 ➹ super rich kids

Comenzar desde el principio

"I have not spent an abnormal amount with anyone," Azriel practically retches, "The only reason I'm even playing buddy-buddy with her is to see what she knows about Rain. Which is nothing by the way. He's practically an angel in her eyes."

"I for one think they're cute," I add, although it isn't met very enthusiastically. "Plus, it was you who flew her out. How did you even manage that?" I circle back to the original topic we'd been talking about before Rain and his alcoholism had plagued the conversation.

"Ugh, has everyone at this school contracted the seasonal blues?" Bailey groans, cutting whatever Az was going to reply with off as she falls in step with us. Her flowy blond hair whips across her vision for a few seconds before she frustratedly accepts the hair tie Az offers up and swiftly ties her hair up in a seemingly neat ponytail.

I'm monetarily jealous due to my lack of ability to do a half-decent one even when I try.

"Who pissed in your cereal?" I ask, eyeing the flushed-cheeked girl.

"Mrs D'Arc is still refusing to up my grade and give me the same mark as the other kids in my stupid group. She seriously hates me, and don't get me started on my lab partners who won't stick up for me."

"Why won't they?"

"Because!" Bailey moans, as if that explains everything, "Half the population are sporting a broken heart in turn of the student proclaimed 'Rain revolution' I mean you'd think they got rid of Tuesday's vegan sushi rolls and not that Rain's fallen in love."

Bailey, despite seeming crazy isn't lying. A dejected aura has filtered through the air at the cement of Rain's availability and lack of it.

Due to the highly infamous Maxi/Christopher/Rain situation, everyone thought that they would have a chance but they've been sourly proven wrong.

"Maybe she thought you didn't pull your weight in the group project, Bailes?" Azriel offers. He utilises the nickname to soften the blow of a possible truth.

"Maybe," I agree, "Ms D'Arc is far from an unreasonable teacher. Hell, she raised Scout's grade by ten percent after Scout had made up some bullshit excuse as to why she couldn't perform the experiment to the best of her ability."

Bailey shakes her head, "No, you guys don't get it she actually hates me. Like, the first lesson we had she completely stared me down as if I dyed her hair fuchsia in her sleep."

"What's wrong with fuschia hair?"

"You just don't get it Az, everyone loves you, all the teachers adore you and I swear I even saw some of them shed a tear when you gave that speech at our last assembly."

"I'm not liked that much."

Bailey and I exchange matching glances at that. Sure.

"You ever notice the fact that we only have a 'head boy' and not a 'head girl'?" I pose, crossing my hands over myself.

Az's dark brows dip. "Because Marguax rejected the position?"

I let out an incredulous laugh, "No! They never even asked her."

"Not even that," Bailey waves a hand, "Although it's really weird and I'd like to hear the explanation sometime else. You know your special because they trusted you enough to board you with Caleb."

"What does that mean?'

"It means," she begins as if he's stupid for even asking, "That Caleb Delvaùx was Sterling's prized possession and is probably the most influential individual in this school. Therefore, he's very important. It was in talks that they'd give him his own private room but then they paired him with you so..."