Chapter 13

Luke's POV

We sat for a little with me holding my baby with rocking on the chair. I wasn't expecting anything and I was happy enough that she was safe and in my arms but Beth had other plans when she decided to speak up in almost a whisper. 

"Why do you act like you care?" It broke me to hear ask this. 

"It's not an act my baby, you deserve better than what life has thrown you so far, we just want to give you a better life, this is no trick and I hope you will come to realize that," It's all I could say. I had no other words at this moment. 

"I don't know why they hated me, I guessed that this was a normal life since no one else cared to step in, I'm just a bad person," she says begining to cry. I pulled her closer to me feeling the stronger need to protect her in this moment. 

"No my love, you are not a bad person, you have such a sweet and kind heart and what happened to you was not normal and those who didn't help you when you needed it then shame on them but your daddy and I are here and we will love you no matter what and that's a promise that I can make on both our behalfs and if anything I do not break my promises"

"Pinky Promise," she asked raising her little pinky.

"Pinky promise indeed they are the most sacred and I definitely would never break one of those," I say linking my pinky with hers.

We sat there hugging for another few minutes when I asked if she would like her bottle, with much thought she agreed and let me feed her it. Her little eyes that were looking up at me were begining to flutter shut and she was back in dreamland. I carefully placed her back in her crib, covering her with the blanket and giving her the stuffy then kissing her good night and heading back to bed myself. 

Daniel's POV

After I retrieved a bottle for my baby, I headed back to my bedroom knowing that Luke and Beth needed this moment and it would have been too much with me there as well. I sat in bed listening to the monitor but there was radio silence for ages and I was begining to think nothing would happen until I heard them talking. 

To hear her so upset thinking she was a bad person and that the life she has was normal made me so angry and sad, she should never think of herself that way, and when Luke said he could promise on both of our behalf that we would love her no matter what made made me smile but what melted my heart was her asking to pinky promise it. She is so adorable and she is not even aware of this. While stuck in my thoughts of the conversation I heard I didn't notice Luke come back in and sit back in bed with me. 

"I think we made some progress there, she needs a lot of reassurance and it's clear that trust is a big thing for her," Luke says once he is settled in bed. 

"I know I heard the whole thing threw the monitor, I can't believe she thinks she is a bad person it hurts to know she thinks this," I say was a frown. 

"I know love but we will help her see what an amazing little girl she is and when she does those thoughts will go away, but for now let's try and get some more sleep okay I am exhausted," he says and gives me a kiss goodnight. We cuddle in together while drifting off back to sleep for another few hours in hopes of a new bright day ahead of us with the hope of some more progress with Beth and getting her into some form of a little space.