02.

CHAPTER TWO

While most classes were excruciating, this one took the prize as Odette felt like she had been holding her breath for an hour and a half. The professor seemed to have the attention of everyone, involving them as he spoke without fault. Everything he spoke of was in confidence, while to her she couldn't grasp enough to understand the subject he introduced.
She tried to focus, her attention fleeting as she couldn't process his words without feeling him analyzing her.

She had never been good with eye contact, holding it for a second and then becoming uncomfortable. She wondered how he felt assertive enough to continue to blatantly stare at her, even when she met his gaze. At the end of the lecture, she was convinced she had done something wrong. It was either that or that he was a very intense person and showed it in an odd sense.

She gathered her things, the chatter picking up as the lecture came to an end. She heard people ask questions, more about the professor than the class and wondered if they found him as strange as she did. She gathered her things, listening as Clara talked about lunch.

"Odette? Would you stay behind for a second." Professor Giordano spoke. His voice despite being charming, coming off as unpleasant.

She begged her friends to stay with her eyes, watching as they waved and left, the other students glancing as they left the room and deserted her.

The silence was suffocating.

He was even more intimidating up close.

He stared at her, a small smile forming on his lips.

"I'm sorry for drawing, I didn't mean to be rude." She spoke, desperate to fill the silence.

In truth, she didn't even know why she was apologizing. All her other professors didn't mind one bit or even noticed that she would sit and draw. Besides Noel was known for sleeping trough half his classes and he'd never been called out in the middle of a lecture.

"You're sweet for apologizing. I wanted to ask you if you find the class hard? I could offer you some extra help if needed." He spoke, leaning against his desk while crossing his arms.

Did he already think she wasn't good enough for the class? Was he pretending to be nice while he actually thought she was already a burden?

That's why he was staring, she bothered him because he knew she didn't deserve to take up the spot from a student who would do better.

"N-no, I don't want to take your time. Thank you for offering." She spoke, watching as his smile fell.

She didn't like him.

She didn't like him at all.

She wanted to go home.

She couldn't understand how his appearance had won over her peers when she couldn't see anything other than the conflict in his glare.

"Come to me if you change your mind." His tone was strained and sounded forced. He looked like he had bit into something sour.

She left quick.

She felt overwhelmed.

Social interaction had never been an easy for her but somehow the professor made it feel brutal.