Selena (Part One)

Start from the beginning

His brow furrowed in confusion, "I never knew she was meeting with your son; if she is, you must be careful and warn your son. But to know her, you need to know about your aunt, the moon goddess's first daughter, who she hunted and killed. Selene..."

*~*~*~*

This story starts in the heaven world of wolves, a hideaway for the moon goddess. Luna sat on her throne, her long silver hair flowing down her bare pale shoulders, and her silver eyes glowed slightly as she watched the little girl who played at the foot of her throne. The little girl had slight silver in her long grey hair that flowed down her face as her silver eyes stared out the moonpool. Then she glanced at the two wolves that watched her tensely like she would disappear any minute.

"Selene," the goddess called her with her angelic soft voice. The little girl, Selene, glanced up at the goddess, "Come here." She said with a slight smile.

Selene stood gracefully, rushed to her goddess's feet, and knelt before her, "Yes, mother..." She said as she bowed. Her voice was as soft as her innocence and mannered with grace.

"My lively daughter, I must tell you that one day you shall take my place soon," the goddess said, staring straight ahead with no sign of any emotion. "So I want you to remember that being a goddess means great cruelty and never favour any of your creation."

"Why is that mother?" She asked, frowning slightly.

The goddess lowered her gaze to her innocent child. She could tell that she did not understand her. "Cause one day they may turn against you and hurt you. So remember, never care for creation."

The little girl was hesitant but nodded, "Yes, Mother."

"Good," she said, stretching her soft hand with her palm down and showing her golden rings. Selene gently held her mother's hand with both tiny hands and kissed her knuckles. "Now go continue playing," the girl bowed, hurried away from her mother, and headed towards the two giant wolves watching her.

Selene glanced at her mother, the goddess, as a cloud engulfed her and the two wolves, taking her somewhere from her mother to play anyway. The little girl was used to her mother's cold shoulder and two intense watchful eyes of her mother's wolves. The moon goddess and goddess of wolves, Luna, her mother.

Seasons changed as time passed, and the little girl, Selene, daughter of the moon goddess, Luna, grew with time. At a rightful age, she was as beautiful as her mother, like a goddess with grace and was well-natured. Now that she was old enough to take over her mother's place, Luna left with the two watchful wolves, leaving Selene to watch over the lycans and werewolves.

Alone, she was tired of sitting on the throne; acting cold was never her nature. She was unsure if she was just being naïve or feeling lonely. She missed being around her cold mother and being under watchful wolves.

One moon night, she gracefully strolled around the moon pool. Her eyes glanced down into the pool when she noticed something. With poise, she kneeled to the edge of the pool and looked down in the pool--

A young man was rowing his small boat on a calm sea at night; the full moon was out. Clouds covered her light but never stopped him. He stopped rowing, pulled the oars into the boat, and threw an anchor into the sea. He was happy; one could see it by his smile and humming a joyful song as he pulled out his fishing rod and prepared his line. Then he threw his line into the sea and waited in his boat.

He looked up to the dark sky, seeing the clouds that covered the moon, "it's sad not seeing the beautiful moon tonight." He muttered, thinking no one would hear him, but someone heard him.

Selene gasped softly and blushed at the young man's remark; she wondered why he was fishing in the middle of the night. She bit her lower lip, wondering what he said what she would do; she waved her hand, and the clouds began to fade away, revealing a full moon. The man smiled widely, staring at the beautiful, lit full moon that wasn't covered anymore.

"Beautiful..." He whispered, and for some reason, Selene was touched when he began praising the moon. "Moon goddess, you must be as beautiful as your moon. A light to the darkness to warn of evil and make way for the innocent." He said, and her heart suddenly began to increase in pace to the point it banged against her chest.

She continued to watch him with amazement and great interest. This man was strange, but she could not stop watching him. He was joyful alone on the sea in the night and was so cheerful even though no fish took an interest in his line. But stayed at that point, laying in the moon's light until the moon was high in its peak, "no catch again..." He sighed and stood.

Selene gasped, realizing he was leaving; he started pulling his fishing rod and anchor, then looked up at the moon as he sat down. "Thank you for keeping me company," he said before rowing away. Selene was still shocked and taken by him; she watched as he stumbled away until he was no more under the light of the moon.

"Strange man," she whispered, placing her hand on her chest. She felt her heart still banging against her chest. "What is wrong with me?" She asked herself, then glanced at the sea, wondering if he would return.

The following night, Selene was seated at the edge of the moon pool and watched the sea where the young were fishing. She was worried he was not coming back because tonight was a new moon, and there was light for him to continue fishing. Time passed, and he still hadn't arrived, and she knew it was too good to be true.

But as she was about to stand, she noticed a fiery orange light and grinned widely when she saw it was the young man. He rowed his boat to the same spot he was fishing before, "Ah, tonight is a new moon; I will surely miss seeing you, the beautiful moon." He said before pulling in his oars, throwing an anchor and throwing in a fishing line, then waiting for a catch.

Just like the other night, he was still joyful and cheerful; he once again took Selene, and her heart beat against her chest as she watched him sing loudly and proudly in the night. His vocals were not well, but she was enjoying his happiness. Just like the other night, he had no catch, and he left, also giving praise to the moon that wasn't there.

Night after night, it continued. He came to his spot, praised the moon, and never made any catch but was still joyful. Selene watched with great interest and curiosity. Until she finally decided to ask him why he came here every night, praise the moon and leave without catching a single fish.

As night fell upon the sea and the moon was full, she left her heavens and shifted into a maiden of the sea, a mermaid. And just in time, he came rowing his boat, singing one of his merry songs. Then, once in his spot, he pulled in his oars and threw an anchor, and as he was about to pull out his fishing rod, Selene emerged to the sea's surface.

The young man heard the splashing of water, and he glanced in that direction he heard it. He gasped under his breath when his sky-blue eyes met with her silver eyes, "are you a maiden of the sea?"