Mastermind

Laura's POV

Maxim was afraid and worried not for his people but for his people. John was taken, and all his responsibilities and duties were thrust upon him. The lives of many were entrusted to him, and his decision must obit around those he must protect. If something happened to him, like John, trouble would arise. But I was relieved that Maxim agreed to our help with a warning, though; he vowed to kill us all if we tried anything.

That was a brave statement, but that scared me cause I knew he meant it.

This morning was a busy one. Maxim had to call all the remaining covens in hiding and warn them there was danger coming. Of course, he hesitated to make such claims since we were all blind to who or what was coming for the vampires. But he told them there was danger and that the werewolves would help protect them.

The calls lasted longer. I know Maxim and whomever he was talking with were arguing about having werewolves protecting them. Once he was done, he pointed out all the coven's hideaways, and Nate called to packs nearby those hideaways and ordered them to hurry over there and protect the vampires. He constantly warned them that he would come for their heads if they thought of doing something against his orders.

Pictures of the map to those maps were sent to those packs, and we continued preparing to move out. "You're coming with me, Lycan," Maxim said as he stared at the map. The Royal warriors and nearby packs were going to the covens that were around.

I looked at Nate, seated behind his desk, "Of course I am. How would I know it's not a trap?" Nate said with a smirk.

Maxim snorted, "says the boy who wanted me to trust his mate's visions." He muttered, then glanced at me, "Have you figured out who could be behind it?" He asked.

I leaned back against the sofa and rubbed my bump; I hadn't slept last night because of that vision. It haunted my mind, not because it was scary as hell but because I was trying to figure out who was the enemy. I shook my head 'no', "I'm still trying to figure that part myself..." I said, feeling tiny, gentle kicks under my palm.

"Love, I want you to go and rest," Nate said.

I gasped, "But I want to help! Just give me time to figure it out!"

Maxim shook his head, "we have enough information." He said, "If I am not mistaken, you said something about the floor crack like ice?" I hesitantly nodded, "Maybe it represented time... We may not have enough time. So tonight, we must leave." He glanced at Nate, "You too go have some time your time, then we can continue making preparations."

"Have you forgotten who you're talking to?" Nate asked, narrowing his gaze at him, and I groaned under my breath. Nate seriously hates taking orders from others.

"I'm talking to a boy with a woman and child that you would leave to fight a war you're part of. You may never know if it will be the last time you see them or them seeing you."

Silence filled the room; Nate stood and glanced over to Liam, who was trying to look like he wasn't listening to our conversation, "you are taking over in sending orders and making preparations." Nate said, walked around his desk without glancing at Maxim, and stood before me. "Let's go have lunch with Hades," he said, stretching out a hand, and I took it and then stood.

We left his study and walked down the hallway in total silence until I asked him the question I kept asking myself, "what happened to Maxim? Why does he fully commit himself to John and vampires?"

Nate shrugged, "I don't know. I asked John once, and he told me it was his story to tell, but..." He looked at me, and I saw in his eyes that he was worried. "He was a broken man when he found him, and he gave him a second chance at life."

We continued heading to the kitchen in silence. When we got there, we found Hades getting seated for lunch. He glanced at us, then raised an eyebrow, "You missed breakfast." He said, and I giggled. Then I pulled away from Nate's side and went to Hades.

"Sorry about that, sweetie," I said, patting his head and kissing his temple. "Mommy and Daddy were just busy with something essential. But we came to have lunch with you!" I walked over to the chair Nate pulled out for me and sat. "So tell us how your day is so far?"

Nate sat, and our lunch was served. "I can't say much. It's the same well... Aunty Kelly is being annoying and also, in my way." Hades said with a pout, and Nate and I laughed at him; he hates it when people get in his way or interrupt his personal space. How would he be with two sisters running around the palace and trying to get him to play with them?

A smile graced my lips as I thought of my girls being cheerful and energic, then Hades being the boring brother who acts like he isn't kind. But there was that thought in my head: what if they would be like Hades? The twins would be lycan, and Hade's behaviour was more mature and calming than the girl's. However, some of me believed they would act like ordinary little girls.

"Daddy, you know compilation?" Hades suddenly asked.

Nate gasped and started coughing; he must have mistakenly swallowed some food as he patted his chest. Nate was the first werewolf I turned lycan by mistake, and his lycan power was compilation; he can compel just like vampires. "Yes, I can; why do you ask?" Nate gasped, furrowing his brows, and I, too, wondered why the sudden interest.

Hades tilted his head and answered with a question, "Are there any other supernatural creature that can compel?"

"Hades, what are you trying to get out of this?" I asked.

He glanced at me, "I'm trying to figure out if I was dreaming or if it was reality."

"What--"

Nate cut me off, "Yes, there is another supernatural creature out there that compels; in fact, it is one of their abilities." I snapped my gaze to Nate; he was serious about our five-year-old son. "They are called vampires..."

I felt some anger from Nate; he would never think Maxim was compelling our son. Does he? He was the only vampire in the palace, but I doubt Maxim would get anywhere near Hades; after all, we hadn't heard any cases of him disappearing.

Hades took a deep breath, "One night, I was outside--" I gasped loudly, but why was he outside, and how did he get out? Hades ignored me and stared at his father, "I was talking with a great-grandmother, and when we said farewell, I strolled into the woods. That when I saw her."

Great grandmother?

"She had blood-red eyes and brunette hair. She looked young, but I sensed she was older. She was talking crazy at first, then she compelled me to lift my arm, and she drew my blood. She said something that had me thinking for a while: 'Blood from a divine being will bring the end to those monsters.' Then she was gone," Hades shrugged.

I grabbed Hades' hand and leaned in, "she didn't hurt in any way?" I asked, and he shook his head and then looked at his father, who was deep in thought.

"Nate?" I murmured, my voice carried concern and fear. Did he know who that woman was?

Suddenly, he jumped onto his feet, " I need to call a meeting." He muttered and was about to leave the table; with my free hand, I grabbed his wrist, and he looked at me. "That was Rebekah, John's mother..."