Chapter 20

Murtasim couldn't sleep. He laid in bed, the weight of guilt pressing heavily on his chest. The room felt suffocating, and it seemed like the tenth time he tossed and turned, with elusive sleep escaping his tired eyes. And this was mainly because of two reasons that lingered in his mind, refusing to grant him the peace he desperately sought. The first was the regrettable outburst he had unleashed on Meerab, the woman he had promised to protect and held responsibility towards. The second was the fact that she was still somewhere in the garden at almost midnight.

As Murtasim tried to gaslight himself into believing he was justified in his actions, the pang of guilt gnawed at him. The memory of Meerab's teary eyes intensified the remorse he felt. He had failed Anwar Chacha's trust, breaking the promise to look after Meerab with care.

Unable to ignore the turmoil within, Murtasim threw the blanket off and sat on the edge of the bed. Running his hands through his hair, he contemplated his own behavior by attempting to see the situation through Meerab's eyes. The realization hit hard—wow, he had truly been a asshole. Meerab had expressed her boredom, and he had never taken her anywhere, except from that one ice cream ride. Her request to him to take her photographs back at the school had been met with indifference, as he handed the task to Bakhtu instead.

"Does she think she holds no value or position in my life?" Murtasim pondered, recalling Meerab's outburst. But that wasn't true. The reason why he couldn't take her out somewhere to ease her boredom was because he had been so busy. And the only reason why he hadn't taken her pictures was not because she lacked importance in his life but due to his own awkwardness and maybe, God knows why but, a hint of shyness as well.

The frustration deepened as he thought about how he had reacted after the Malik Zubair incident. "That asshole ruined everything," Murtasim muttered under his breath, but he knew the real culprit was, in fact, staring back at him in the mirror.

_______________________________

The light breeze of the night sky provided a welcome respite for Meerab's racing mind. She sat in the garden, the cool air offering a semblance of peace amid the turmoil within. Murtasim's unexpected reaction had left her bewildered and, for the first time, questioning his character. The term that floated to the forefront of her thoughts seemed harsh but fitting—an asshole. Yeah that was the perfect word to describe him right now.

"The least he could have done was ask about my well-being," Meerab mused, her frustration evident in her silent monologue. She felt dismissed, lectured like a child when all she needed was a simple acknowledgment of her presence and an inquiry about her wellbeing. The fact that she had been out in the garden for hours, and that jerk hadn't even bothered to check on her, fueling her growing irritation. She felt stupid to think that their relationship was getting better with time.

Seated on the damp grass, Meerab attempted to regain composure through deep breaths. She mulled over the situation, practicing breathing exercises to calm her racing heart. Yet, as the night grew chillier, the reality of the late hour and the dropping temperature could not be ignored.

"I'll go and sleep in the other room instead. He should know that I'm not a child to be taking this lightly," Meerab decided, her determination firm. She closed her eyes for a moment, preparing herself to stand and leave the uncomfortable solitude of the garden.

However, before she could act on her decision, Meerab felt a comforting weight shroud her shoulders. The unexpected warmth made her pause, her eyes flickering open. The night seemed to hold a moment of quiet understanding, the cool breeze no longer as biting with this newfound presence.

_______________________________

Murtasim observed Meerab from the window, her figure silhouetted against the night sky. The chilly breeze and damp grass made her shiver faintly, a detail that didn't escape his notice. Acting on an impulse, he grabbed a throw from the lounge before stepping out to join her.