Chapter 15

It had been a surprising week of tranquility for Meerab. She and Murtasim had subtly crafted a non-verbal understanding, navigating their shared space with a quiet respect for each other's boundaries. Gone were the days of unnecessary arguments, and they seemed to coexist without getting in each other's way too much.

Meerab had gradually adapted to the environment of Pakistan, although the occasional perplexed stares from the women at the panchayat in Khan Haveli's garden still made her feel uncomfortable. She dismissed their scrutiny, knowing the cultural contrast between her modern attire of jeans and T-shirts and the traditional expectations associated with being the wife of Khan Murtasim Khan.

Returning to her routine of tending to the garden, playing around with the children of the house-help, and managing her work, virtually, Meerab found solace in the semblance of normalcy. However, amidst the serenity, there loomed the formidable figure of Maa Begum, relentless in her stream of demands.

Each morning seemed to unveil a new request, ranging from the trivial nuances of Meerab's walk to the intricacies of her attire. Maa Begum's persistent insistence on Meerab joining the panchayat added a layer of complexity to her otherwise harmonious existence.

"You know, Meerab, that ring on your finger holds immense importance. It's not just a piece of jewelry; it signifies a responsibility," Maa Begum would assert, her eyes holding a gravity that Meerab couldn't ignore. "I feel like it's time for you to fulfill your duties as the Khaani of the people."

The significance of being the Khaani, the wife of a feudal lord in Pakistan, dawned on Meerab gradually. Unbeknownst to her, marriage to Khan Murtasim Khan came with unspoken responsibilities, the ones she hadn't been informed about prior to their union, just like many other things. Meerab had unwittingly inherited the title of Khannum, a position that extended beyond the walls of the haveli to encompass the welfare and expectations of the people.

As Maa Begum continued to impress upon Meerab the weight of her role, Meerab found herself caught between tradition and her own sense of identity. The dichotomy between modernity and age-old expectations became an intricate maze, and Meerab realized that her role as Khaani was not merely a title; it was a delicate balance between preserving cultural norms and forging her own path in this new, complex world.

The morning sun cast a warm glow on Khan Haveli as Meerab grappled with the unexpected turn of events. Maa Begum, with an air of authority that seemed to engulf the entire haveli, had declared that today would be the day she officially introduced Meerab as their Khaani to the people at the panchayat.

"Meerab, my dear, the time has come. Today, you will be officially announced as the Khaani of this haveli. Dress appropriately; I've sent some clothes to your room," Maa Begum declared with an imperious tone, her eyes glinting with an unwavering determination.

Half expecting a modest selection of traditional attire, Meerab entered her wardrobe only to find it transformed. The sight that greeted her eyes left her flabbergasted and, quite frankly, infuriated. The pile of her clothes were neatly folded away while her cupboard was now replaced by an array of vibrant shalwar kameez, elegant suits, and regal Anarkali dresses.

"What the hell is this?" Meerab muttered under her breath, her annoyance palpable as she surveyed the room. Maa Begum's attempt to exert control over her attire had reached a new level, and it was a territory Meerab was not willing to surrender without a fight.

Determined to assert her independence, Meerab decided to choose the very Western wear that had been displaced. As she changed, a mixture of frustration and rebellion fueled her actions. The rustle of jeans and the soft swish of fabric seemed to echo her defiance in the confines of her room.