Prologue

Her heart thundered within the cage of her chest, a wild symphony of emotions drowning out the world. A tempest of thoughts raged in her mind, each one competing for attention, and she fought to enclose the chaos of confusion, nervousness, fear and sadness. Yet, uncertainty towered over them all, a formidable wave that threatened to swallow her whole, constricting her breath in its cold grip.

This surreal moment, an unforeseen chapter in her journey to Pakistan, unfolded as she sat draped in a magnificent heavy red lehnga. Gold sitar embroidery adorned the fabric, each intricate detail an echo of tradition and familial expectations. The pearly emerald choker, an exquisite piece that whispered of regality, clung to her neck, both accentuating her beauty and acting as a subtle shackle.

In this tapestry of emotions, the pivotal question cut through the air, hanging like a suspended breath. "Meerab, daughter of Anwar Khan, with a Haq Mehr of twenty-five lac rupees, do you willingly accept this nikkah with Murtasim Khan, son of Shahnawaz Khan?"

Her hands nervously entwined, Meerab sought solace within the sanctuary of a deep breath. With closed eyes, she tried to silence the cacophony in her mind before uttering the weighted words,

"Qubool hai."

_______________________________

Numbness gripped him, an unwelcome companion that had shadowed his every step for nearly seven years. His mind, an isolated landscape, struggled to grapple with the reality unfolding before him. Never in a million years, had he thought that he would be getting tied into a relationship like this, not unless it was her, his heart squeezing in his chest tightly as he deliberately avoided contemplating anything beyond his father's final wish.

The white sherwani, its buttons meticulously fastened, felt like a constricting embrace, suffocating him as the pivotal question hung in the air. "Murtasim, son of Shahnawaz Khan, do you willingly accept this nikkah with Meerab Khan, daughter of Anwar Khan?"

His gaze drifted aimlessly to something in front of him, as if searching for answers in the unseen. In a monotonous tone that betrayed any emotion, he responded,

"Qubool hai."

_______________________________

As the partition descended between them, his stoic, empty eyes met her innocent, doe-like gaze. In that fleeting moment, they became bound by a relationship woven from the threads of family obligations and wishes, the ties tightening like an invisible but unyielding cord. The meeting of their gazes, one marked by an unsettling emptiness and the other by untarnished innocence, signaled the beginning of a journey where love was not a priority.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guysss. I'm back with another fanfic and i was really excited to write this one. I hope you all enjoy it as well. Please give feedback💞
-Maman