My inquisitiveness growing, I open it and withdraw an invitation. It's made of expensive textured paper and has a double-lined golden bordering.

PLEASE JOIN THE

Mikaelson Family

THIS EVENING AT SEVEN O'CLOCK
FOR DANCING, COCKTAILS, & CELEBRATION.

That's it. That's all there is to the message. "That's hilarious," I say quietly, reading the message over again.

"What is?" dad inquires. I look up to see his eyes locked on me curiously.

"The Mikaelsons are hosting a function today," I utter. "...I was already going."

Dad smiles, amused. I turn the invitation over. There's a handwritten message on the back.

Dearest Nylah,

I hope this finds you well. There have been a number of ground-breaking occurrences since you've been with us last, all of which I will explain in person. I thought it best to notify you ahead of time that my mother — your grandmother — has joined us and wishes to meet you. I understand if you cannot afford time off from school, but we would all love for you to be with the family.

All my best,
Elijah

"What is it?" dad inquires when he notices my eyebrows have shot up — permanently. You have to understand my surprise here. Elijah had informed me not too long ago that Mikael had killed Esther. So what on earth is going on...?

"Apparently I have a grandmother."

***

Clutching my tote bag, I stride through the front doors of school, my head held high. Everyone's eyes are fixed on me. Great. Just how quickly does the news about a break-up spread?

People are whispering to each other as I pass them, trying to be discreet, but I can hear them. I can hear each and every one of their judgemental and/or repulsive comments. High schoolers.

A girl I don't know: "Poor girl."

The girl I don't know's friend: "I mean, I don't want to gossip... but to have her boyfriend cheat on her with her own twin? That's rough."

Someone: "She probably deserved it. No one cheats without good reason. We don't know the full story yet."

Another girl: "A bit harsh, Emma?"

Yet another girl: "Eh — no. Remember when she jumped down our throats that one time about her aunt, Harls?"

Harley: "Vividly."

The girl I don't know: "Okay... you guys need to let that go."

I drown out their bickering... that friend group is complicated.

Some guy in my History class: "Does she want a rebound, do you think?"

Greenberg: "I dunno, but I'd definitely tap that. How'd he manage to bag both the Argents?"

I locate my friends, all standing by Scott's locker and chatting idly. Stiles, wide-eyed, is the only one out of the lot of them to notice me approaching. His mouth drops open.

Everyone notices him ogling at something and turns around to see what he's looking at. I smile breezily at them. "Hi."

"Damn girl, you're hot," Lydia remarks as she looks me up and down, standing beside Aiden. I'm keenly aware that Isaac's gaze is fixed on me.