⁸². 𝐹𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑤𝑒𝑙𝑙

Start from the beginning

(Y/N) thought that would've been the worst part of her day — having to see her husband in such a vividly way only to be harshly reminded that he was gone — but it wasn't. Having to face at least a hundred people waiting outside of her home was surely worse. But (Y/N) couldn't cancel at the last minute. After all, it was the funeral.

She stepped outside and walked down the steps with Morgan clasping onto her hand tightly due to the dozens of unfamiliar faces. In her hand she held onto a wreath that Pepper had made the day before, doing her best to avoid looking at it properly afraid she might cry. Happy, Rhodey and Pepper were trailing right behind her, but Steve and Thor decided to give them some space before following after them.

(Y/N) weakly smiled in gratefulness at the people she spotted over the row, the others bowing their head as a form of respect. She could feel all of their gazes in the back of her head as she made her way over to the small dock of the lake with the wreath feeling heavy in her hands.

She leaned down on the dock and carefully placed the wreath on the lake, watching how it floated in the dim green water. In between the flowers stood the symbolism of her husband, the first gift she had ever given him, also a reminder of how her story with him started. His old arc reactor, with the words Proof that Tony Stark has a heart emblemed around it.

"Say goodbye to Dad, honey," (Y/N) crouched down to Morgan's level, her arm wrapping around her entire small body.

Morgan waved her small hand. "Bye, Daddy."

(Y/N) sniffled as she saw the wreath drift away further in the lake, doing her best to contain her emotions. Behind her, Rhodey and Happy pulled each other into a side hug for some sense of comfort. Pepper was drying her tears with a tissue, composing herself when the men brought her into their embrace. Steve was behind them with his hands in his pockets, thinking any sort of 'what if' scenario in which he could've taken Tony's place and the Stark family wouldn't have been broken apart.

Peter Parker and his aunt May were watching from the sidelines, the woman placing a comforting hand on her nephew's shoulder because she knew this took a huge toll on him. Bruce and Thor wanted to be there for (Y/N), but they decided to stay back. Stephen Strange and Wong were right behind them, both remaining with stoic expressions.

The Pym family and Scott Lang were a few feet away from the others. Although they weren't exactly close to the person who had passed away, they decided to assist anyway to show respect. Hank Pym, the one with the harshest history with the Stark's, decided to show up much to people's surprise. All he said is that he felt like he owed it to an old friend.

The Guardians assisted too, some with lowered heads and the others staring straight forward. Mantis was rocking from side to side, a peculiar way of hers to show respect for the deceased. T'Challa wore traditional black clothes but had minuscule purple details engraved on the sleeves, Okoye and Shuri on either sides of him. A few steps behind were the Barton's, where Clint had his hands on top of his two oldest's shoulders and Laura had her hands through their youngest's hair.

Wanda, Bucky and Sam were apart from the others, staring at the lake like the rest of them. Sam patted Bucky's shoulder as a way to show comfort for the situation, since he was the one left with a single regret out of the three. All Bucky could do to hide his regret and guilt was stuff his hands inside his jacket's pockets so no one could see the metal arm hidden underneath the fabric.

Harley Keener distanced himself from everyone else in the funeral. He wasn't quite sure why he received the call, since it had been a long time since he had heard from the billionaire, but a pet of him was thankful that he did. Not everyone knew his tie to Tony, but he preferred to keep it that way. Charlie Vaughn stood beside him to remain separated from the others, an arm wrapped around his wife's shoulder. He barely knew his brother-in-law, but he knew he had to come to show respect.