1

The clock struck midnight. Haseena was restless as usual. Haseena with her hands had shot Anubhav Singh 10 days ago. Her brain had accepted him as a traitor.

But her conscious was telling her a different story. A part of her was still not ready to believe what had actually happened. She was suffering. A millon questions were left unanswered and to sleep soundly without finding answers to them was not in her nature.

Her whiteboard was filled with crosses and circles as if marking a target. Background noise consisted of continues beeps from a heart rate monitor and the rapid rise and fall of breath of a patient. The muffled sounds of the ward boys and nurses on the night shift was audible.

A hefty man was laying on the bed, he was on life support. Haseena looked at him. With mixed emotions, she sat on the chair kept for the visitors. She let out a sigh.

The doctor came in to meet her. "Miss Mallik" He addressed her. "The reports are negetive. The man laying here is not the one we think he is." Haseena was clearly shocked. She took a few seconds to reply "So he is not Anubhav Singh?! He is just a dupe? But how is that possible?" "Plastic surgery... It's very common and if you are wealthy, it's easy as well." "Well... That's true as well... But to create an RAW agent's face..." "Whatever it may be, he is not Anubhav Singh, he is of no use to us... It's better if we..." "No doctor, he is of utmost importance! He has the most vital piece of information... The real man behind the conspiracy!" Haseena said with conviction. "Make sure he gains consciousness as early as possible. Keep me posted."

"Ma'am... Can I ask you something?" The doctor hesitated to ask. "Yes you may" Haseena said, keeping away the empty tea cup. "Until now, you believed he was Anubhav." Haseena noded. "And you and Anubhav have a long history as well... Then why did you get him here? I mean you could have left him to die and just returned to your normal life." "I could have done that easily. But no matter what, he is a human. He has a right to be cremated with full respect and dignity. More importantly, in some way or the other, he has served our nation. Even a executed person is cremated...  Yaha toh hum ek officer ki baat kar rahe hai...With this thought I went to his body but I realised he is alive. If he was alive, he deserves a proper judicial proceeding. It is one of the basic constitutional right given to each and every citizen of India. So here we are..." 

"So you don't love him anymore?" "Err.... That's something I still struggle with. It's too late. Ask Divakar to be with that man. Just in case. I am leaving for my house now."  The doctor nodded. 

******
I hope you all will find this strong interesting and engaging. Thank you for making this far. The response I got for the  introduction was amazing. Please keep reading and tell me what you think of the plot.