Prologue: The Kiss That Ended Everything

Evermore opened the door to her parent's house. Paintings of her sister, Crystal, covered every inch of the stone walls. Golden electric candles were lit, and their faux flames rose.

A bright light from the open door enveloped a velvet sofa, where two figures kissed.

Tears stung Evermore's eyes. "It can't be happening."

The happy couple didn't turn around at first.

"Jeff, why are you kissing my sister?" Evermore covered her purple face with her hair, so they couldn't see her tears.

Crystal and Evermore's betrothed grinned at her.

"We've been waiting to talk to you." Crystal winked at her.

Jeff stood up. "Can I have the ring back?" he asked.

"The ring," Evermore stammered.

"Remember, you promised to pay for my wedding." Crystal tossed a decorative pillow, knocking over a plastic candle.

"But not to Jeff." Evermore slumped on the beige carpet and wailed.

Crystal touched her heart. "Mom and Dad already think you're cheating on him. I'm his shoulder to cry on."

"But I hadn't," Evermore stammered. 

Crystal's mouth turned downward. "Dad believes everything I tell him. He's a moron. You'll play along if you know what is good for you."