Chapter 3 Lime's Coconut Cake Café

"I'll drive you to the café." Barnabas grabbed Evermore by her arm and guided her out; he led her to his electric truck. "I'm sorry I introduced you to Jeff. I thought his former girlfriends treated him poorly, but looking at how he treated a truly amazing woman, I realized Jeff was trash all along." He unplugged his vehicle, and they entered.

Patchwork designs covered the seats.

He drove down the road, parking at the café. Fresh cakes and pies were displayed in the window, but they didn't enter.

"Barnabas, are you sure you want to?"

He nodded. "Not everyone who graduates the program becomes an eco-monk. I did want that when we were in high school, but..." Barnabas stopped talking for a moment and touched her fingers. He spoke again. "Kissing you deeply last New Year's Eve because I didn't want Jeff to think he won. It put other thoughts in my head. While I shouldn't have done it, I don't regret it. And I have come to believe procreation isn't a sin. That kiss felt different."

"I thought my kisses were awkward, but that was Jeff's excuse for not using mouthwash. It was always my fault. Why didn't you ask me?" The tips of her fingers rested on his arm.

"Well, I'm less experienced at kissing than you, so I wouldn't know they are weird. In reality, when I was eleven, my dad came back from the ministry. He was no longer self-centered. He cares about the planet and me. I ended up with the kind of dad Jeff always took for granted."

"The eco-monks gave you your childhood back," she said.

"Yes, they did, but they showed my father the destructiveness that selfishness causes," he said. "I don't want an annulment or a divorce. I long for a marriage with you. And I want to eat grilled cheese sandwiches and cheesecakes."

"No, I don't love Jeff. I loved the lie, and I was too shell-shocked at the massive debt they threw at my feet." She placed her head on the dashboard. "This is weird, but not unexpected and not unwanted."

"Am I that obvious?" he asked.

She pressed his knuckles to her mouth. "I noticed in the last year you've been looking at me the way Jeff pretended to. But I felt I was robbing your goals." She opened the truck door and plugged it into the station. "When you set me up with Jeff, I thought you wanted to ask me out."

"I set my ex-friend up with girls I was attracted to. Looking back, my self-image was kind of messed up," Barnabas said.

"So, our kiss changed your mind?" She touched his arm. "Do you think Mr. Chanteuse knows I keep some of my clothes in your closet?"

"I bet he does, but you're moving the rest of your items in. We'll celebrate at your aunt's café and bakery."

"Okay, we'll buy a cake or two." She kissed him again.

"While your parents will never be on our side, she will be." He kissed her forehead, and his mouth fumbled over hers. "Do you love me? Because I love you."

"Yes, I like you a lot. I mean, I love you too. Why don't we go away for the weekend? Camping might be fun. We could take the tent."

Barnabas stared at her. "Nice, but I can afford a private cabin, and can you wear the little black dress? I like the fringe. You wore it last New Year's Eve. Oh, and bring a swimsuit. The lodge has installed an environmentally friendly pool and opened a café that specializes in grilled cheese and hot chocolate."

"I love hot chocolate." She smiled and hugged him.

"I know." He picked her up and placed her on his back.

She laughed. "What are you doing?"

"Giving you a piggyback ride. It's cute, and I want to do adorable husband stuff for you. I also notice how exhausted you are." He walked into the diner.