𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟔 • 𝔽𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣

Beginne am Anfang

"She loved you," I state with certainty.

Hearing it and knowing it are two very different things. And for the first time, he truly knows how much his mother loved him, even if Baghra did a poor job of showing it. She always loved him. This time, she made it quite clear.

He finally wills himself to look away from his mother, examining the battlefield. "Why aren't the Shu Han fighting? Why isn't anyone fighting?" His brow quirks up.

With a bitter smile, I explain, "We knew there were a few of Leyti's people that were loyal to me rather than her, but Aleksander, the extent of it is much greater than we thought. They all turned against her once I arrived, once they had hope of an end. They don't want to fight anymore. Those soldiers out there are tired, much like us. So what do you say? Let us end this. Together."

His brows lower, and he nods briefly. Then, his expression changes to one of curiosity. He scrutinizes me closely, eying me up and down. "Something is different. What changed from the time you left the palace and now?" he asks.

        "I changed."

        He hums in thought. I am sure he will have many questions waiting for me later, and I thought he was going to say more now, but he simply tugs my face close and pecks at my lips. I smile and offer a hand. Before I help him stand, he smooths Baghra's hair and whispers, "Goodbye, Mother."

        Aleksander is a bit unsteady as he stands at first since he narrowly escaped death not a minute ago. I would say he should have stayed there longer if there were not a thousand soldiers waiting for guidance. We walk over to a brown-haired man with greyed hair on the sides, and Aleksander asks him to prepare a horse-drawn hearse. He bows and scurries away. Through the chaos, I see Nikolai, who catches sight of me from across the plateau as well. He gives me a small reassuring nod. We do not share a connection as Aleksander and I share, but a strong friendship is a bond in itself. I hear his voice in my head, what he said on the ship. We believe in you. It's time you believe in yourself, too.

        I find high ground to stand on so I can see everyone, and they can see me. Aleksander stands stoically beside me. He gestures for me to start. He was always better at giving speeches than me. Frankly, I find these situations terrifying. But this needs to come from me. It is me they chose to put their faith in, so it will be me who finishes this.

"Ravka! Shu Han!" I announce with as much confidence as I can conjure. This may be the most significant speech I will ever make. Uncertainty is not something I can afford, so I straighten my back and talk loud and clearly. "I poured my hope into a brighter future—one where we can all live in peace. Admittedly, I had lost hope given recent events, but you have all shown me that the idea is not as impossible as I once thought. With your help, there can be a world where we are all united. Grisha, Ravkans, Shu Han. Humans."

The crowd erupts into cheers. I can't help my dazzling smile that appears as I see them all so enraptured by the same hopeful future.

"I am not asking Shu Han to conform to Ravka's image. I am not asking Ravka to bow before Shu Han. However, vast changes will be made to alliances and the world order. Change to this degree is a frightening thought, I know. But I am asking you to trust me. It is clear that you desire peace. So do I. Allow me to initiate harmony among us after centuries of war and casualties in the name of so-called 'peace.' Let the product of this last fight truly be peace."

I hold my breath, waiting for a reaction after I finish speaking. I pray that I said all the right things. My prayer is answered by deafening applause, and I sigh in relief. My gaze falls on Aleks, who has a look of admiration exhibited on his handsome features. He leans in with a smirk, his warm breath brushing the shell of my ear when he says, "I told you, you would change the world."