Chapter 16

One morning in July, Rory and Logan dropped Matthew off at camp (over the summer he was going to a day camp with a few of his friends) before going to Rory's doctor's appointment.

"Ok, so here's baby boy A..." Dr Lee said. She moved the ultrasound wand a little. "there's baby boy B" she said. She moved it again. "and here's baby girl"

"Oh, they're so cute" Rory said.

"Is that the order that they'll actually be born in?" Logan asked.

"Yes. Baby A will be first, then baby B, and then baby C" Dr Lee said

"Ok"

After the doctor Rory and Logan both went to work and in the afternoon, Rory went to pick up Matthew from camp.

"Can we have toast with peanut butter when we get home?" Matthew asked as Rory drove.

"Sure, buddy" Rory said.

"But with Granny's bread" Matthew said. Every weekend Amy made a big batch of sourdough bread. She always gave a loaf to Rory, a loaf to Megan and John, and a loaf to Mason and Sophie. It was Matthew's favorite food and he was really picky but Rory knew that at the very least, if he didn't eat anything else, he'd eat that bread with some peanut butter.

"Of course" Rory said. Half an hour later she was sitting with Rory at the kitchen island, eating toast when Matthew asked the question she'd been dreading him asking.

"Mommy, why is Logan the babies' daddy, but he's not mine?"

Rory had made it a point for Matthew to know who his father was, but he was still young and didn't fully understand why Logan was the triplets father but not his. "Remember when we talked about how you need a mommy and a daddy to have a baby?" Rory asked. Naturally, her being pregnant led to Matthew asking questions and she explained in the most age appropriate way she could. Matthew nodded. "And remember when we talked about your dad?"

"That he was in an accident" Matthew said

"Right" Rory said. "So we made you, but he died when you were still in my tummy"

"That's not fair" Matthew said.

"You're right. It isn't fair" 

Matthew was quiet for a moment. Rory just let him think whatever he was thinking and waited for him to speak. She knew that this could always be a sensitive subject, especially now since Matthew's siblings would have a dad who was alive.

Several minutes went by and Matthew hadn't said anything. "Matthew, would you want to go see your dad's grave?"

"What's that?"

"You know how they bury people when they die?" Rory asked. Matthew nodded. "So a grave is the place where someone is buried. I can take you to your dad's if you want to see it"

Matthew nodded.

The next day Rory bought some flowers on her way to pick up Matthew. They went straight from camp to the cemetery. "Alright, so this is your dad's grave" Rory said. "You can go sit there, and you can put your flowers on it, and you can talk to him if you want. I'll be right here, and we can stay for as long as you want"

"Ok"

——

The next weekend, Rory and Logan were sitting on the floor in one of the bedrooms that would belong to the babies. They hadn't decided yet if they'd all share a room or not, but they needed to start getting things ready for the babies.

"What if we put the boys in here and then baby girl in her own room across the hall?" Rory asked. "That way we're not sticking 3 kids in one room, but we're also don't have to set up 3 nurseries"