Chapter 8

A few more months went by and things were going well. Rory was made managing editor of the Hartford Courant. Her relationship with Logan was great.

In September, Logan needed to spend 3 weeks in London, and Rory offered to take care of Cody for him. Matthew was a huge fan of that idea and spent a lot of time playing with or even just petting the dog. Cody would even follow Matthew around anywhere he went.

"Cody sit" Matthew said. Cody sat. Matthew crouched down in front of the puppy and held his hand out. "Paw". Cody put his paw on Matthew's hand so Matthew gave him the dog treat he'd been holding. "Mommy, I need more"

"He's only supposed to have one" Rory said. "You can give him more later"

"Mommy, what's this say?" Matthew asked and showed Rory the tag on the dog's collar.

"That says Cody, and on the back it's Logan's phone number"

"Why?"

"Just in case he ever gets lost" Rory said. "If somebody finds him they'll know Logan's phone number so they can call him"

Matthew giggled. "He licking you"

"My hands probably smell like chicken because I was cooking" Rory said. She pet Cody for a moment before going back to the kitchen to wash her hands so she could finish making dinner.

Later that evening, Rory was getting Matthew ready for bed when she heard the front door open and close, followed by Lane's voice. They both had a key to the other's house and it wasn't uncommon for them to just walk in. "Rory?"

"Upstairs!" Rory called out.

"It's a little early for that, isn't it?" Lane asked when she got upstairs and saw that Matthew was wearing Christmas pajamas.

"Megan bought them for him last year but they were too big. They finally fit and he insisted that he needed to wear Santa tonight. I don't have the energy to argue with a 2 year old about pajamas"

"Mommy, take" Matthew said and handed Rory his stuffed lion.

"Why am I taking this?" Rory asked

"I going to Cody" Matthew said and left the room to find the dog.

"He's gonna be so mad when Logan takes his dog back tomorrow" Rory said.

"If it helps he can come play with toast"

"Thank you"

A little while later Rory and Lane were sitting in the kitchen, drinking coffee, and Rory desperately wanted to know what Lane's news was. The news that was the whole reason she was there that night.

"Just tell me already" Rory said

"Ok, are you ready for this?"

"Lane"

"I'm pregnant" Lane said

"You're kidding!" Rory gasped

"Definitely not kidding" 

"Oh, my God, that's great!" Rory said. "That's great, right?"

"Yes"

"Oh, I'm so excited for you"

——

The next morning Rory was asleep when Matthew came into her room and climbed up onto her bed. He was followed by Cody who jumped up onto the bed.

"Mommy" Matthew tapped Rory's shoulder

"Mommy's sleeping" Rory mumbled without opening her eyes. She didn't know what time it was but she could tell still dark outside since her room was still dark.