06

RYAN

The atmosphere in our apartment was charged with a mix of disbelief and uncertainty. Nathan, Lucas, Elijah, and I sat together on our worn-out couches, discussing the unexpected turn of events - Alex transferring to Lurid. The overlapping voices of our conversation resonated in the room.

"So, Alex is really did the jump to Lurid?" A hint of disbelief echoed in Nathan's voice, a sentiment we all shared. "I thought he was joking when he said it."

Leaning back, my thoughts still occupied by the news, I replied, "No joke, man. He means it. He mentioned something about a better shot at the NFL," recalling Alex's words about seizing an opportunity beyond the confines of our university.

Elijah, usually the quiet one, remarked, "And how will Lurid handle bringing in a Belcher player to their team? The dynamics will be interesting, especially with Aiden Johnson playing in the same position. He won't take that lightly; Aiden's a fucking dick."

We exchanged glances, our shared understanding of the complexity ahead lingering in the room. Our friendship had always defied the boundaries of university rivalry, but this development presented an unexpected challenge.

Nathan, ever the optimist, broke the silence: "Whatever it is, we're still a team. Alex might wear a different jersey, but we're brothers on and off the field." I nodded in agreement; Alex and I go way back to our first year here at Belcher. Nathan, Elijah, and Lucas joined us soon after. We formed a tight-knit friendship, but in the early days of our first year, Alex suffered an injury.

Alex had sustained a lingering knee injury, a setback that had confined him to the bench and altered his active participation in football games. Despite always being on the bench, he remained focused on the game. He didn't live with us; he had a room somewhere on campus. Still, Alex was always with us. He had told me this might happen. Coach wouldn't let him play, and he still had potential. Somewhere, I understand, but it's messed up.

After a long silence settled among us, Nathan spoke, "Do you think he'll adapt well there?" His words reflected the unspoken curiosity lingering in each of our minds.

"I hope so," I replied, my gaze fixed on the TV screen, attempting to conceal the uncertainty in my eyes.

Lucas added, "Belcher will feel the hit too. Losing a player like Alex is not something you easily recover from."

Elijah, who had silently pondered his thoughts, finally spoke. "You know, why don't we bring Alex here? We can watch the game together, catch up, and ask him how it's going at Lurid."

The idea from Elijah hung in the air, and after a collective nod, we decided to send a message to Alex. Rivalry with Alex doesn't exist; he remains one of our best friends. During games, we might be facing each other, but off the field, our friendship transcends the boundaries of competition.

Alex responded, saying he'd be right over. Lurid and Belcher weren't far from each other; it might take him just an hour to get here. I don't even know where he lives now; Alex's parents didn't have much money, and he had to rely on the scholarship offered to him.

Our eyes were focused again on the TV screen in front of us, where Notre dame was playing against Florida to prepare for the upcoming match against Notre dame. Lucas had put up an analysis of our opponent's recent games on the screen, the glow reflecting from our faces in the dim room. Each play was a snapshot frozen in time, evidence of the ruthless pursuit of victory on the field. The friendship we shared during those moments underscored the unspoken understanding that the cheers tomorrow would be replaced by the fierce competition that characterized the football arena.