SPECIAL 1 - (Stra)Ordinary People [by Phakin]

Start from the beginning

I didn't know why, but I smiled when I saw him.

That boy watched the puppy finish all the pig and picked him up again. He looked a little worried before heading towards another alley.

He probably had to let him go pretty far from there, because if he went back to that alley, he would get hurt.

I followed him with curiosity since he hadn't left the dog yet, then I saw him stop in front of a pharmacy. He spoke friendly to a lady who appeared to be the owner of the pharmacy. They seemed to know each other quite well.

I didn't get close enough to them to hear what they were saying, but from their gestures and from the lady who had taken the puppy into her arms, I guessed that he had probably asked her to take care of the puppy temporarily.

"Shit!" he shouted after looking at his watch and panicked. "P'Na, see you after work!"

"Everything is fine. Hurry up and get to work." said the pharmacy owner.

The boy thanked her and ran to my side. I smiled a little as I watched him run further away.

He had saved the puppy from being hurt, bought him food, and left him with someone he trusted so he wouldn't get hurt again. He could have simply ignored the puppy, but he didn't.

He seems like a really nice person. This... he had impressed me.

I walked back the way I came, then looked at the other employees. He probably works in an office around here. Maybe I'll meet him again here at the market.

I wasn't sure what I would do if I had the chance to see him again. Maybe I would have just stared. Maybe I would have had the courage to smile at him and say hello.

But for sure, I really want to see it again.

********

Even though I hoped so, I never thought my wish would come true in the next two weeks.

It was the first day of my internship. I was in the office and was following the manager to each department to say hello to everyone. Bas, who was the head of my department, received a call from his boss, so I stood there and waited, while all the eyes of the employees were staring at me.

I had been self-conscious about my appearance and why I was stared at all the time since I was in high school. Even though it happened all the time, I never got used to it enough without feeling uncomfortable.

I smiled politely at him and looked away. I was standing near the entrance. The wall was decorated with several projects and photos of the employees I would soon be working with. I looked at each photo then my eyes spotted a familiar face.

Jadenifat Tangtrakarn.

I stared at the photo and repeated that name in my head. I smiled as my heart beat a little faster with joy. He was the man I had seen two weeks earlier, and he was also a graphic designer I had to work with.

Coincidences exist. Maybe I should call it faith. And the world is such a small place.

"Are you a new intern?" A deep voice called my eyes away from the photo.

"Yes." I said as I looked at the tall boy who seemed to be the same height as me. He was so handsome that if someone had told me he was an actor, I wouldn't have been surprised.

"In which department?" he asked. Those sharp eyes looked into my face as if he were studying me.

I smiled politely, "IT Department."

"Perfect. Me too. I'm King, a programmer."

"My name is Mai. Nice to meet you, P'King." I greeted him.