17. Chess Duets - Benny Watts x reader (The Queens Gambit)

Bắt đầu từ đầu

His eyes, now distant, hinted at a journey that went beyond the confines of the chess club. "I found solace in chess, a way to communicate without uttering a single word. It taught me about strategy, about life's uncertainties, and the delicate balance between control and chaos."

A subtle smile played on Benny's lips as I let a smirk escape before bringing my own perspective into his thinking. "Yes. Chess is a silent mentor. It teaches patience, resilience, and the art of foresight. The more you play, the more you realize it's not just a game; it's a reflection of life's intricate dance."

Our game was close, with the pieces moving with precision, almost like they were dancing. Then, in a bold move, I decided to sacrifice a crucial piece, reshaping the battlefield and setting the stage for a daring endgame.

Benny's eyes narrowed, impressed by the audacity. "You've got guts, Y/N. Let's see where this takes us."

The room held its breath as the final moves played out. And as I anticipated, my risky gambit paid off, leading to a checkmate that left even Benny momentarily stunned.

Applause broke the silence. Benny, a smirk on his face, applauded my victory. But I could tell in his eyes that they held a couple of questions. "Well played, Y/N. Your unpredictability is your strength."

The applause in the chess club echoed in the room, marking the end of a captivating match. I couldn't help but smile, a mix of satisfaction and surprise coursing through me. Benny Watts, the grandmaster, extended his hand in a gesture of sportsmanship. As our hands met, the usual formality of the gesture took an unexpected turn. There was a pause, a fraction of a second, where our eyes locked, and the world around us seemed to blur. The handshake, intended as a mere acknowledgment, turned into a lingering connection.

"Remarkable game," Benny admitted, a genuine admiration in his eyes. "Your style is refreshing, and that sacrifice was a bold move."

"Thank you," I replied, the thrill of victory still lingering. "Chess is a dance, after all. Sometimes you need to take a risk to create a masterpiece."

Benny chuckled, his mysterious aura now softened by the camaraderie of the game. "You've got a point there. Not everyone has the courage to dance on the edge."

I nodded, biting my lower lip, which seemed to have become a usual thing. Taking a final glance at Benny, I began moving myself to watch the other play.

As I observed the ongoing games in the chess club, my mind began to replay the moves of the others, seeing faults and benefits. Later on, as a match was about to begin, Benny approached me, slowly speaking as he watched the game unfold. "Oh, he shouldn't have done that move."

His sudden comment startled me, making an unintentional squeak escape my lips as I jumped slightly. Some of the nearby players in the chess club glanced in our direction, their focus momentarily shifting from their own matches. The sudden attention from my reaction made me shrink in embarrassment as I felt a blush creeping up my cheeks.

Benny, a smirk playing on his lips, raised an eyebrow in amusement. "Didn't mean to catch you off guard there, Y/N."

I chuckled nervously, recovering from the unexpected startle. "Well, you certainly succeeded in surprising me."

Benny's smirk widened, and he gestured toward the ongoing game. "Looks like we have another interesting match unfolding. Care to share your thoughts?" he asked, the playful glint still present in his eyes.

I glanced back at the chessboard, thankful for the change of topic. "Well, considering the position of his pieces, it seems like a risky move, leaving his king vulnerable. But who knows? Chess is full of surprises," I remarked, finding my confidence returning.