Trackstar Antelope Volume 30

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, we became close friends after the Regional Finals in June." I reply, cautiously. Most other carnivore adults speak pretty softly and calmly with younger herbivores, with the exception of Coach Harris treating me more like a carnivore... or whenever he's angry. I guess Sam's dad is more of a stern character.

"I'm sure you found him as a way of protection. He told me all about the hyena at the Aerodrome" he replied.

"I feel safe around him, I guess. He'll be there for me, and I'll be there for him." I tell him. Where the hell is Sam? And where is this talk leading to?

"Just know your distance around him... don't get too close. It's good that he has a friend like you, but I don't want him to fall through the same cracks as his brother" he says sternly. "I'm sure you've heard all about... Ben."

"Yes." I reply quietly. "I'm very sorry about what happened to your son" What else am I supposed to say to a response like that?

"Those bastards knew what they were doing to get my son in trouble. If parole comes, he's gonna have to adjust to the new world. Prison can really change a man, you know" Sam's dad tells me, raising his voice slightly. Has he... done time? I guess he's also right. Once Ben gets out, he's probably gonna have to make some changes to fit in with society. Especially since all the trauma involved with the attack, and the hate he must have for herbivores.

"Make no mistake, Jamel. I'm all for herbivores having rights, becoming athletes, running for parliament and all that..." Sam's dad starts. He gets out of his seat and leans in towards my face "... but the second you take advantage of my only free son; I will seriously make you regret ever coming near him".

I sink down into my seat, in fear of the size of this tiger. He emits a foul emotion of anger that could make anyone scared. I've read that feline fathers can be very protective of "their cubs", especially larger felines, but to the point where they'd threaten someone who posed no harm?

I can't help but feel just a little bit intrigued and impressed. This man just downright threatened to devour me, yet I'm amazed by his willingness to keep his son out of jail.

"So, Jamel" I hear Sam's mother call out from the kitchen. She walks out, holding a small tray of cups, and a kettle. "Do you take ginger tea? I know that herbivores prefer other kinds, but we don't have any others, I'm afraid." Sam's dad has already moved back into his seat, warmly inviting the others in.

"Y-yeah, that should be fine. Just a small cup for me." I say, returning to a calm emotion.

"So, what's this "Shearing Day" thing I keep hearing about?" Sam's mum asks me. I'm glad she asked.

~~~

I went through and explained to the three tigers about the history of Shearing Day, its importance to herbivores across the country, and what we do for it. Sam and his mother listened on in fascination, but his dad was more interested in the footy again. I could tell that he was listening because his ears were pointed back in my direction.

"...this year, they decided on a new rule. Each young herbivore can choose a carnivore to go with them to the Shearing Day Festival, at the Aerodrome." I finish up. Sam's dad then whips around quickly, barely bumping his mug of tea. The three of us ignore him, interested in the conversation.

"Wow, I bet that would make everything a bit different for you." Sam tells me.

"Yeah, but I'm excited to see how everything will turn out." I reply. Maybe this could be my chance to ask him if he wanted to come along with me. I look over to Sam's mother. She looks really happy for Sam and me; two young friends hoping to better ourselves with the relations of herbivores and carnivores all around us. But I turn to Sam's dad, who's shaking his head "no", frowning at me, as if I'd be sending his son to his death wish... I guess I'll have to choose someone else...