Chapter 4: Jail Break

Start from the beginning

"Slow him down if can," Rob said, though he wasn't sure how she was going to be able to do it. "I'll find Ethel and Zack. We'll meet you at the station."

"I have an idea," Deb said as she followed to police exorcist. "I will meet you there" She then hung up and turned her focus to stopping the assassin from reaching his target.

Deb brandished a throwing knife and crept around the side of a car, her eyes narrowing in concentration. She aimed at the tires of the assassin's car, puncturing one with expert precision. The exorcist cried out in surprise, and the car swerved crashing into a lamppost close by. Deb approached the car and found the man alive but out cold. She thanked god he would be ok, and swore she would never do something that risky again.

Rob paced outside the police station, hoping Zack and Ethel got one of his texts and were on their way to help him stop the exorcists from killing John without knowing the truth first.

Ethel's car pulled up and Rob was surprised, "Where is Zack?" Rob asked taking note of the empty passenger seat.

"He won't be joining us on this one, he looking into something else," Ethel explained as she stepped out, taking in the police station.

"Something more important than stopping exorcists from killing John before we figure out if he is a murderer or not?" Rob couldn't believe Zack wouldn't show up to this.

"First of all John isn't a murderer, he has been living with me since I found him and he is way too timid to kill anyone. Secondly, I am sure your BFF will fill you in on all the wonderful details of his investigation during one of your tea parties or whatever it is the two of you do." Ethel didn't want to answer a million questions right now, she wanted to save John. "now let's go save an incent life." Rob fell silent and nodded. leading Ethel around back.

Ethel's heart pounded as she and Rob slipped through the shadows behind Waterloo police station. She knew a bond was formed between Supremes and their vessels, but she never imagined the strength of it. A force that compels her to push her usual self-preservation instincts aside to protect her vessels. Ethel's fear for John warred with her determination to save him.

"Keep low," Rob whispered, his dark brown eyes scanning the area for any signs of danger. They reached a back door, and Rob expertly picked the lock, allowing them to slip inside undetected.

"Remember, John still isn't in full control of his powers if things go sideways," Ethel reminded him, her voice barely audible. As they crept down the dimly lit hallway, she couldn't help but feel like time was running out for John.

"Stay behind me," Rob instructed, he knew that if he was caught, no one in the station would find it out of the ordinary because he was constantly visiting Lindsey. They inched closer to the holding cells, their footsteps muffled by the worn carpet beneath them. As they turned a corner, Ethel caught the aura of an exorcist in a police uniform, standing guard outside John's cell. Her heart skipped a beat.

"Rob, that's not a guard," she breathed, fear and anger surging within her. She had never felt this way about another vessel or anyone for that matter, but she was a Supreme now and this connection to her vessel seemed all too natural.

"Shit, how are we going to take him down without alerting the entire police department?" Rob asked, steadying himself. But before they could come up with a plan, an intense flash of light blinded them momentarily. They blinked away the spots in their vision, only to see the exorcist unconscious on the floor, his body crackling with residual energy.

"That was John," Ethel whispered, realizing he had used his powers to knock out the guard. John reached out from the cell and retrieved the keys. The holding cell door swung open, and John crept out slowly. He knocked the guard with his foot to make sure he was out before looking up to meet Ethel and Rob's gaze.