Let Sleeping Demons Lie: Part #2

Start from the beginning

"How do you know all of this?"

"Because I've seen it."

Suddenly, Shiro/Meph groaned, morphing back into the frail form of Mephisto. The demon weakened from the transition, slid backward toward the floor. Luckily, Shiro was there and caught him.

"Mephisto," Shiro whispered urgently, "What do you want me to do?"

"Please, put me back in bed."

"Is it true?" Shiro questioned urgently. "Can Yuri be saved?"

"It is indeed possible." Mephisto nodded. "But only if you are up for the responsibility."

"I would do anything for Yuri."

Shiro tucked Mephisto under the blankets, placing a concerned hand on his pallid forehead.

"Do you understand, now?" The demon smiled weakly. "What your task will be?"

The Paladin nodded solemnly.

"Go home, back to your own time." Mephisto whispered. "And I will guide you through what follows. If you show empathy to Satan, I can promise you years of happiness with your family."

"Can this hell really be undone?"

"Yes, Shiro, nothing in time is written in stone..." The demon asserted. "But the time has come for you to make your leave."

"Can I see Rin?"

"I believe he already came to see you in the past." Mephisto smiled. "He recovers, quite nicely, white hair and all."

Shiro nodded, taking the Kamakushi key from his pocket. He walked toward the balcony doors and inserted the key into the lock. Shiro turned one last time to address Mephisto.

"I'm sorry, my friend. I should have trusted you."

"All that matters is that I have your trust now."

"For now and forever."

Seconds later, Shiro was gone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guards gave Shura a blue key. It went directly from True Cross to Mephisto's  gilded palace. She made her way quickly up the hall to Mephisto's bedroom. When she reached for the doorknob, Belial confronted her.  

"My master is in the guest bedroom." Belial announced. "His personal quarters are currently indisposed, please come with me."

"Um, okay?"Shura furrowed her brows. "Why is that?"

"He has another guest." Belial responded. "A young exorcist recovering from a harrowing ordeal. True Cross Hospital was short on beds and the Master offered to take him in."

"That's weird, Mephisto just offered to let a stranger sleep in his bed?"

"The room has special safeguards to keep this exorcist safe." Belial explained. "He has abilities that are difficult to control, and quite a strong temptaint."

Belial gently guided her away and up the long, narrow  hallway.

He opened an identical door; "The master is expecting you, in here." 

"Thank you Belial."

As she entered, Shura surveyed her surroundings. The room was a carbon copy of Mephisto's actual room. 

In the centre of the room the demon slept, surrounded by a mountain of stuffed animals and anime characters.

"Wow, this fucking weird." She whispered. "It's like deja vu."