That Horrid Girl

February 2007

The girl sat in a hard-backed wooden chair, dressed in a scantily altered school uniform. Her hands were cuffed in magic-cancellers. At her feet sat a baby dragon; it was purple with three heads and many sets of bright green eyes. It snarled with pincer-like teeth,  endless menace and promised violence.

"Why is that thing loose?" Shiro raised an eyebrow.

"It's a chameleon." Mephisto mused thoughtfully, "A couple of second-class exorcists tried to contain it, but it's a very tricky creature."

"Sorta like the one that conjured it."

  Shiro and Mephisto stared down at Shura from an observation room hidden behind a pane of tinted glass.

"She can't see us up here?" Shiro questioned.

"Or hear us." Mephisto nodded, "In theory."

No sooner had Mephisto spoken than the girl raised her head toward the window, staring directly at him.

"How does she do that?" Mephisto muttered. "It's such a problem."

"Huh?" Shiro prodded. "What did you say?"

"It's nothing," Mephisto replied sheepishly. "It's just...she seems to sense demons, even ones that can cloak their powers."

"Well, that's explainable," Shiro responded. "Hachiro was no slouch as far as demons go, and Shura's got his temptaint. He could hide like a snake in places we couldn't see. No doubt, she'd be able to find a slippery demon. All contracts can track their Masters." Shiro glanced over at Mephisto knowingly.

"You can't track me," Mephisto smirked.

"You don't know that for sure." Shiro crossed his arms.

"Oh, and why is that?"

"Well, I'm always avoiding you on purpose."

Mephisto's mouth straightened into a thin line, and he clucked his tongue.

Yes, Shiro grinned. That got him riled!!!

"What are you going to do," Mephisto replied haughtily. "Are you going to slay that little beast? I have a busy schedule today and can't afford to dilly-dally."

"Who am I slaying? Shura or the dragon?"

Mephisto glared at him in annoyance.

"Would you rather me deal with her?" Mephisto threatened. "I declare my mood to be rather foul."

"Nah, I'll go talk to her...." Shiro laughed ruefully at the expense of his demon partner. "We both know this is what she wanted all along."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, you knew I'd come, didn't you?" Shiro stood like a wall of authority, narrowing his eyes at the impudent teenager. "What is it now?"

"It's just...I haven't seen you in a long time." Shura pouted. "Yer avoiding me."

"Of course I am." Shiro raised an eyebrow. "You've got fucked up feelings about me. Feelings I want no part of."

"Why are they fucked up?" Shura challenged. "I'm sixteen, I'm hot. Hachiro told me to pick the best warrior. All I can find is you. Besides, you sleep with any woman that offers...why am I any different?"

"You're just a kid." He winced. "It ain't happening."

"I'm plenty old enough," Shura remarked. "Open your eyes."

Shiro regarded the girl's outfit and frowned.

"You look like you need clothes that fit," Shiro remarked. "That uniform is two sizes too small."