Boxing Day Special

-----------------------------------------------------------{Boxing Day}------------------------------------------------------------------

(December 26, 1866)

"What are we doing, again?" Stella quizzed once more, her eyes darting around to the many objects on the table before her. Her eyebrows knit together in confusion as she glanced around, wondering what any of this has to do with Christmas traditions.

"It's Boxing Day," Elsie began, setting an empty box in front of each of the children, all standing on chairs around the dining table. Christmas had come and gone, their presents all tucked away in their rooms, but now the parents were attempting to teach the children something new.

"Boxing Day is when we donate food and/or clothes to the poor," Amelia continued, her inner tutor making itself known as she helped the boys with their boxes.

"Since this isn't our house, we can't donate the things in it, so we bought food and gifts the other day at the markets to pack up for the nearby orphanage."

Mycroft carefully began to pack things into his box, Ivan by his side, ready to stack the boxes when they were completed. Pierre was still carrying in the crates of food, and warm clothing they had been storing, placing them by the table to be unloaded as the boxes were filled.

"I like this idea!" Anne exclaimed, carefully beginning to put some fruit into her box.

"Me, too! I wish the ones around London had done this more."

A silence fell over the group. Jeremy paused, too, as he realized what he had just blurted out, and glanced awkwardly to the adults around them.

"It's all right, Jer. It is true. I wish the more blessed would help the poor in London, as well."

Elsie's eyes darted to Pierre's as she made the statement, Amelia glancing around as well. Their faces all seemed to reiterate the idea Stella had about them: two families that truly wanted to help the poor and this country, but were simply trying to figure out the best way to do so. Stella smiled a little. She was happy she ended up in this family.

"Well... we'll just have to convince them!" Anne announced, not bothering to look around for fear of anyone's interjections against her statement. She was decided upon the fact that her and her family could change London, and that was it, in her mind.

"That we will, Anne." Elsie murmured, giving her daughter a kiss on the forehead before she turned to the others. "Now, let's get these boxes packed!"

By noon, the boxes had been all packed and loaded into the sleighs, and after their meal, the families set off for the town. Snow began to gently fall on the group as they rode along, Anne and Stella leaning back and giggling as the tried to catch the icy flakes on their tongues. Jeremy and Sherlock succeeded in catching some flakes on their sleeves that didn't instantly melt, inspecting the intricate designs as the parents cuddled together for warmth.

Mycroft was the first one out of the sleigh once they arrived in front of the run-down orphanage, making his way to help begin the unloading progress. The sound of shouts and cheers came immediately as the children realized they were there, probably around twenty ragged-clothed children stumbled out into the snow. Anne's heart clenched within her as she saw their bare feet racing in the snow, a small girl staring up at her with mournful eyes as she clutched a filthy rag doll.

"Stella..." Anne whispered, unable to take her eyes off the children. "That was us, not long ago..."

The elder sister's wrapped an arm around her sister as they watched the children, the boys excited whooping and hollering as Mycroft brought in the first set of boxes. Ivan and Pierre were swarmed with the boys, their teacher scolding them to stay back as Elsie and Amelia helped the girls down. Jeremy and Sherlock weren't far behind the men, carrying what little they could, Mycroft giving Sherlock's nose a quick pinch as he passed. Stella grinned at Sherlock's look of disgust, almost missing Mycroft's smirk as he fetched another pile of boxes.