Chapter 15

Chapter 15 (May 1866)

The rapid sound of footsteps echoing down the hall and down the stairs made Stella's heart beat even faster. Sherlock pulled open the front door and barreled out into the cool evening air, making a quick turn to the right. It seemed to be the same direction that they had went earlier when they went outside for the afternoon, but Sherlock didn't stop at his normal tree this time. He was running as hard as he could for a looming building in the distance, one Stella was sure was the stables.

"Wait for me!"

Anne was shutting the front door and trying to quickly race down the steps, with Jeremy and Stella between her and Sherlock. Stella glanced back long enough to know the young girl would need some help running in those new shoes.

"Jeremy, stop and help Anne!"

With this, Stella ran even harder to catch up to Sherlock, who had just dipped inside of the stable door and vanished. The uneasy neighing of horses met her when she stumbled to a stop inside, glancing around for Sherlock. She soon saw him coming around the corner with a saddle.

"Open the first one!"

Stella pulled open the gate for the first stable, ducking out of Sherlock's way. She caught the sound of Jeremy and Anne's footsteps drawing closer, and turned to find Jeremy watching Sherlock try to saddle his horse.

"Saddles are at the end of the barn!"

"I always rode bareback, my dad taught me."

"Even better! You and Anne take the one across from us, she's trustworthy and fast. Quick!"

Jeremy darted across the hall and opened the gate, disappearing into the darkness. Within a couple of minutes, he emerged, astride a beautiful brown horse, extending his hand down to Anne.

"I'll pull you up!"

Stella felt like she was watching a movie scene as she watched the young girl grab Jeremy's hand, and he- somewhat difficulty- pulled her up on the horse behind him. Jeremy circled his horse around a couple of times, probably attempting to show off for Anne as they waited on Sherlock, before guiding her outside into the air and waiting.

"Stella!"

The young girl spun back around as she saw Sherlock had successfully saddled his horse, and was mounting it. She didn't wait, climbing up on the upside down bucket he had pulled over and grabbing his arm, swinging herself over behind him and wrapping her arms tightly around his torso.

"How do you know which horses are good to ride?"

"My family comes here often, even when Pierre and Elsie were traveling! I started riding lessons here with my father last year!"

He clicked his tongue and heels, and the horse started out of the gate, Sherlock guiding it over to Jeremy's while Stella hung on for dear life. She didn't feel incredibly steady on this horse without being in control of the reins.

"Go as fast as you can! Keep your eyes on me and I'll lead you, there shouldn't be anyone out at this time of night."

Jeremy gave a quick nod. He glanced behind him and whispered to Anne to hold on tight to him, turning back to see Sherlock taking off towards the front gates. Stella held on tight and laid her head against his back. She only raised her head to see why they slowed down, feeling Sherlock nudge her with his elbow in the next moment.

"Lean to the left some while I unlock the gate."

Stella raised her eyebrow but did as he said, watching Sherlock lean over halfway out of the saddle and pull a key from his boots.