2

Onika Minaj

I woke up and yesterday's events came flashing before my eyes, he really was gone. Lauren had somehow managed to get a flight to Trinidad at such short notice.

Imagine my shock when I found out we were flying with Rihanna's private jet, how did she pull that off? With a lot on my mind I didn't ask any questions.

Arriving home was bitter sweet, while my family especially my mom wanted to be happy for my debut film, dad's passing dampered that happiness. They had that good love they write about in the books, my heart hurt for her, for me and everyone else.

"Onika baby, congrats on your debut film, I know your dad is proud of you" the crack in her voice broke me. I brought her in for a hug. With that, the two of us cried till we fell asleep.

Although I wanted to stay with my mom and sister after laying my dad to rest, I knew I couldn't, I had to get back.

Rihanna flew us back to New York after the funeral, I'd have to thank her personally as she saved us a lot of trouble trying to get tickets on such short notice.

Arriving at my apartment, I found myself in the bathroom floor crying. He was really gone, he was literally my best friend, supported my dreams and not once had he wanted me to be something I didn't want to be. How I wish I could share this moment with him, I'd remember acting in front of him as practice for my auditions, he'd critique my acting skills and guide me through it all.

I had a day to myself and it was back to showbiz after.

Lauren had shown me my schedule and with the amount of appearances I'll be making, that would get my mind of my dad's passing, I could use the distraction.

My co-star and I had to guest on the 'Tonight show with Yolanda Adams' to be honest I was not looking forward to it, that woman was just vile and problematic. Although we are briefed about questions asked on-air, she had a tendency of going off track and putting you on the spot.

"So Onika tell us, how was it shooting those love scenes?" of course she had to ask that, out of the many scenes in the film that's what peaked her interest, Brian the lead actor who had been around the industry for some time, wasn't faced by the question and slightly pushed my shoulder which got the live audience reaction.

"We are both professionals and did our best to bring these characters to life" obviously I was still a rookie with no publicist, Lauren had to coach me in answering questions without leaving anything up for interpretation. The media is ruthless, one slip up I'd be crucified. Brian was in a relationship, so of course Yolanda wanted to start drama which was disappointing for even a talk show host like her.

It's safe to say I got through the interview without jeopardising my start in the acting industry.

With the film's success in the box office, Rihanna proposed a team celebration dinner, everyone and their partners were invited. My plus one would have to be Lauren, I am single as they come. I had learned earlier on how celebrities who are single are more desirable to the public and fans, which is just crazy. Things we do for fame.

It was a celebratory dinner at an expensive restaurant and an after party at Club Tuscany. Looking at the menu, a plate could cover up my rent. Rich people really spend this much on food alone?