Chapter Four

I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, in sun and candlelight

— from Elizabeth Browning's sonnet, How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways

Mikasa and I found joy in staying home. We'd be confined in the living room all cuddled up. I have been spending my time doing all the chores and showering her with the affection I should have showered her with years ago.

But today... today will be different.

"What do you think?"

And there she stood... wearing a lilac dress embellished with little flower designs. Seeing her wear the scarf all the time makes me feel giddy and all, but I am grateful that it is in the laundry today. Her bare neck was exposed and I can't help but wonder how soft and smooth her skin is.

I took steps closer until we are only a few inches away. She looked up at me and smiled faintly. I couldn't help but bring my hand to her cheek and slowly trace her jawline until my hand reached her neck.

I want to kiss her.

"It's not good to keep them waiting, Eren." She chuckled and held my hand that was on her neck. I snapped back into my senses and scratched my nape. What was I thinking? Have I gone crazy? Over the sight of Mikasa wearing a dress and her hair carefully resting just a little above her shoulders? God, yes. She makes me crazy.

She made me forget that we still have a festival to attend and that Mrs. Terry and her husband are waiting for us to arrive at their home. I made sure to look presentable so I could at least seem deserving of Mikasa. She's right there, looking like a goddess. I can't go out looking like life fucked me up.

Well, it did, but still...

So, I decided to wear a new shirt. It was white and I tucked it in my black trousers. I did my best to look good today. I want to impress her.

"What's wrong?" I asked when I saw Mikasa comstantly touching her neck as if she had forgotten something. I was about to open the door but she looked really bothered so I held her shoulders and tapped them to get her attention.

"I am sorry. This happens whenever I am not wearing the scarf. I'm just not really used to it." She smiled and looked down. I could only nod since I didn't want to pry, but I was sure as hell that she wasn't telling the truth.

Thankfully, on our way to Mrs. Terry's home, her mood lightened up and she had gotten back to her senses. She was also overjoyed when we reached the market as it was filled with banderitas and lively music here and there. She also flinched a bit when a loud bang was heard, turns out, it was just from the drums. Soon after, kids dressed like different animals and vegetables led the show with their dance.

If ever Mikasa and I get children of our own, I hope they also participate in festival performances like this. I would love to dress them up like this and accompany them to their practices.

"Look at that boy, he looks just like you!" Mikasa pointed at the boy wearing a monkey costume. He was frowning but he was dancing properly. "And I am sure his temper is just like yours! Come on, it's quite obvious." She laughed.

I paid attention to the boy and noticed that we really resembled each other... aside from the fact that he has black hair and a pair if onyx-colored eyes, just like Mikasa's. All of a sudden, a certain fantasy came to mind. This feels so domestic. The domesticity of this scene is making me look forward to the life I can build with Mikasa. We'll start the day waking up beside each other and end it sleeping together. Everyday.. for four years.