06

Aryan Veer Singh

The flying booth descended with a gentle hum, its mechanical wings folding gracefully. As the hatch opened, a rush of stale air hit me, making me feel somehow less suffocated. Without a second thought, I leaped out, grateful for the breath of fresh air that surrounded me.

"Viraj, take Veerika and Yuvaan with you. I'll come alone." I instructed, my voice carrying the weight of the unspoken words, I just can't look into her eyes after this.

Discarding my suit coat onto the passenger seat, I swiftly take over the driver's position and rush out of the runway spot, the urgency in my movements mirroring the turmoil within.

I ruined it all. Had to murder the woman whose daughter I might have liked one day. Can't even ask about her mother without sounding like a mass murderer, even though to some extent, I am. That's not the impression I wanted to leave in front of Veerika.

Fury gripping the wheel, an emergency notification flashes - alarm brokerage in the palace, northern wing ablaze. My foot presses harder on the gas, urgency and dread intertwining as I race towards the unfolding crisis.

In the midst of chaos, all I crave is her safety.

Spellbound by her, I can't bear the thought of a scratch on her. Meanwhile, a notification reveals the sudden crash of the entire system in Sphere-87. The unknown unfolds, adding another layer of uncertainty to the chaotic moment.

I leap out of the car, witnessing the Northern wing consumed by flames. Soldiers and staff scramble to contain the inferno, the angry waves of fire threatening the third largest AI system in the Precinct-1. The magnitude of the crisis unfolds before me.

Amidst the chaos, my attention fixates on the girl in the black tee and simple cargo pants, her hair in a messy bun. She smiles nonchalantly, a mystery in her eyes that I can't decipher amidst the unfolding turmoil.

I jump towards her, enveloping her in my arms, a desperate reassurance that she's safe. Her arms hang by her side, and I hold her close, cradling her against my chest, my heart finding solace in the safety of the one girl I've ever truly looked at.

Anticipating her response, I patiently wait for her to reciprocate the embrace, imagining the ways she might engage with me. My mind envisions the possibility of her hands on my back, or even in my hair, scratching my head maybe, relishing the thought that she might appreciate its silkiness. However, reality takes a different turn. She raises both her hands but places them on my shoulder, harshly pushing me back. It's a heartbreaking moment that leaves me with an unexpected ache.

The weight of my actions hits me as my conscience mocks, 'What did you expect after murdering her mother?'

She brushes invisible dust from her clothes, scrunching her nose as if my touch disgusts her. The aftermath of my past deeds becomes painfully evident in her reaction.

"Don't fucking touch me ever again!" she screeches, the words cutting through the chaos like a bitter wind.

"I'm sorry, I didn't intend to make you uncomfortable. I just wanted to make sure if you're okay," I pleaded, my words carrying the weight of remorse and genuine concern.

Before she can speak, Viraj approaches, yelling that "You can admire the girl you met this morning later, as the now-ashes building demands your attention." Priorities shift in the wake of the unfolding crisis.