CHAPTER-20_I am Sorry

Arjun's eyes were glued to the corridor. He felt the blood pushing through his veins with more pressure. He stared at the corridor as the shadow grew nearer.

'Are you looking for something Rajkumar?'

Arjun turned back to find Saudamini looking at him with questioning eyes.

'Nothing! I was just ah...um..' - Arjun said with his mind trying to create an excuse.

'Is everything alright Sauda? How may I help you Rajkumar Arjun?'

Arjun turned his eyes back to the corridor, where she stood. She was divine!
A perfect blend of royalty and serenity, like the landscape of a river flowing in valleys, while the moonlight dances upon its waves. She was beautiful. Beautiful in every possible way one could describe.

'I was waiting for you!'- Arjuna realised what he had said after the words slipped from his mouth.

' That's very kind of you Kumar! So, shall we proceed now?' She said with her seemingly hypnotizing smile.

They continued to the main door of the palace where the arrangements or travel was made for everyone. Arjuna's horse waited there, and a palanquin for Subhadra and and another one for her handmaiden.
'I'd prefer my horse!' exclaimed Subhadra at Saudamini.

'Are you sure about it?' Saudamini questioned, raising her eyebrow. She was worried that Subhadra will get a tan which would not be a good thing just before a festival as such.

'Yea! But you will travel in the palanquin. And no argument for that!'

Saudamini smiled. She couldn't say anything now. Subhadra's horse was brought to the main palace, till that time, she asked Sauda to start as it may take time for the palanquin carriers to reach the destination.

***********

'How long does it usually take to reach the parvat Kumari?' - Arjun asked with a touch of humour.

'Not long now, we'll reach there by the first hour of the second prahar!' Subhadra added 'are you feeling hungry Kumar?'

'What? No! That's isn't why I was asking. It's just that, it's kinda boring with no one talking and traveling all alone.' Arjuna said mockingly.

'travelling all alone!? Have I gone invisible. Besides, are you the one talking about not talking. Remember, you were the one who refrained from speaking when we visited the Somnath temple and...'
Subhadra realised that she shouldn't have said this, after all, Arjun was their guest.

'I see that...So you are angry because of that?!'

'See Kumar, you know this! I...I didn't mean...'

'I am sorry!' Arjun said. His eyes glared directly into Subhadra's. Deep in them. He wasn't disheartened, he felt relieved. Relieved, that he had apologised for his improper behaviour.

'No Kumar! Please don't take it that way...I am sorry..'

'Don't break my heart by saying that Subhadra!'

Subhadra stared in his eyes. What did he mean by that. His eyes said nothing, they only had glimpse of happiness and peace and serenity...and possibly in there somewhere affection. For her.