Chapter one

I walk the halls well aware that they can find out any second. They could know I was the one to solve every problem they don't want to solve themselves. Teenagers are so lazy to get out of anything nowadays it's terrifying to think of our future. For me though, I need money and hiding behind a façade and solving their problems is the way to do it. Out of nowhere someone shoves me causing me to stumble to the ground. "Watch it!" I shout pulling myself up off the hard ground. "Sorry." A smooth voice rumbles out, as I brush myself off. "Whatever." I reply to Blake the head at our school. I push through the crowd ignoring his pleas asking me to wait. He finally reaches me near my last class of the day and grabs ahold of my arm. Turning me to face him I put on a blank face. "I didn't catch your name." he says smirking. "I didn't throw it out there like the herpes I'm sure your catching" I reply with a glare. "Who are you?" he asks curiously. "who am I?' I say leaning towards him til my breath fans his neck. " Its a secret." And that was my first mistake.
•••
"Hey! Its been forever!" Bev my best friend shouts. She is the only one I have trusted with my secrets. "I know!" I say pulling her in for a hug. "Meisey, when are we gonna hang out again?" she asks pouting. Knowing her weakness of patience I hold out my answer until I see her getting mad. "What about tomorrow?" I say with a laugh. "Perfect! sleepover?" she says hope gleaming in her eyes. "Always." The bell rings to signal the end of school and the rush to get home begins.
My phone dings the second I get home and I smile already knowing it's Beverly.

hey come at 9

Will do! I respond to her before dumping out my backpack and filling it with overnight necessities in exchange. A small note catches my eye from my large pile of unfinished homework. It's a number with no explanation or name on it. Curious I put it in my phone case and get started on my homework.

After giving up on finishing any of it completely thirty minutes in, I pop a frozen pizza in the oven and pull out the mysterious number from my phone. I contemplate texting it, but I honestly have no idea what I would even say. I could just say hello but how do they know that it's me when I don't know who they even are or if they're expecting a response to their note. I would ask Bev what I should do when I see her tonight. I toss the note in my overnight bag and scroll through my phone until my dinner is ready.

Halfway to Bev's house I spy a young girl sitting on a bench crying. I pull over to see she couldn't be any older then 5 or 6. Heading to the girl and sitting down, I see her look up with tears shining in her eyes. "Hi, sweetie are you okay?" I ask gently. "n-n no." she mumbles out sniffling. "What's your name?" I ask as she cuddles close to me. "Paisley." she whimpers out. "what a pretty name!" I say to cheer her up. she smiles at me. "think so?" she says happily. "I know so, what's wrong paisley?" I ask smiling softly down at her. "My brother took my doll." she says with a small sniffle. "Can you take me to your brother?" I say in reply to her. "Sure!" she perks up and takes my hand walking me to a house down the street, upon further inspection it's clearer that it's more a mansion than a humble home. I knock politely just in case she went to the wrong one. A kind masculine voice shouts the minute the doors open. "pay!" Paisley runs into Blake's arms and grabs her doll from him. "Thanks for bringing her back." he says gratefully looking at her. He turns to face me before confusion clouds his face. "You?" he says "Yeah, me."

I sigh as I get in my car thinking back on the exchange at the door. "Yeah, Me." I say starting to turn around. "Wait! Would you like to come in for a minute?" My mouth gaps open. "Why?" I ask my tone sounding more appalled that I meant. I glance at Paisley her face is still flushed from her earlier cry session. "Sure, why not." He stands aside and let's me walk into the foyer. I look around taking in sleek gold accents on the white walls leading to the doors like vines before creating a garden of golden roses around each door. There are so many rooms I immediately feel I would get lost in a house this large. My gaze finally settles on Blake who seemingly was watching me take it all in. He has an odd look in his eyes and I realize there's only two options here. Look away from him or stare back until he looks away. I go with the latter and we begin a battle of wills. After what felt like hours he laughs and throws his head towards the end of the hallway where it opens up into what looks like a kitchen. I follow behind him closely not wanting to look as curious as I am to see what's in all the rooms. He leans on an island counter. "Where was she?" He asks and I detect a small trace of concern in his words. "About a block down sitting on the bench by the park." He nods understanding. "I didn't see her go out until I called out for her and she didn't answer, I'm lucky you're the one who found her." "It was no problem, she's a really sweet kid. I would keep a better eye on her though." I lecture him. He nods again and I awkwardly look away. "So can I get your name now that you've met some of my family and been to my house? It seems like we're getting pretty serious." He smirks at me and I roll my eyes. "I'm late to my friends, bye Blake." I turn around and walk out knowing I was playing with fire. He follows behind and somehow gets to the door with enough time to open it for me.

Getting to Bev's house nearly twenty minutes late throws Bev into a rant about scheduling conflicts and doubts. After she gives up trying to knock sense into me we decide to watch all the insidious movies. While she sets up the movies I put together a make shift bed on the floor and then grab as many snacks as I can carry from her pantry before we start a five hour pig fest. See this is what you call friendship.

Halfway through the third movie I look to see Bev asleep in a position that will not feel good in the morning with her head turned like that. To save her from a Crick in her neck I kindly wake her up with a pillow...and by kindly I mean I throw it at her hard right when the main character screams. Let me just say I have never seen someone jump off the floor and out of a room so fast. I follow her out of the room gasping for laughter while she glares at me popping a watermelon sour patch in her mouth. "Of course you would grab those before fleeing." I say in humored disbelief. "Girl if I am gonna die, I am going to die happy." She pouts looking down at her slowly dwindling supply of sour patch. "Can we go to the store..." She trails off begging me with her eyes. "Seriously?" I ask looking at the clock. 1:26. "When am I not serious about candy meis." I chuckle giving in. "Know what I'm down, as long as I can get some of that cake." I grab the keys to the car getting ready to go before looking down at my pajama shorts and tank. I shrug looking at her as she stares at me eyebrows raised. "What?" "Meis, I love you...But gas station cake really!" She says laughing. "Woah woah, it's a lot better than it sounds." I defend my cake. "Sure."

The ten minutes to the gas station pass quickly as we sing along to fall out boy. Right as I pull into the lot I get cut off to my usual parking spot causing me to slam on my breaks. "What the hell dude!" I shout out, the urge to flip him off comes on strong. I sigh pulling into one slightly farther from the front of the store and see Bev throwing said finger in the air at him. "He's lucky he's hot." Bev says looking back at me. "Is he?" I ask curious as I turn the car off and get out. "Definitely gives a model a run for his money." She says staring at the back of his head as he walks in the store. "Get his number." I dare her with my eyes a smile lighting my lips. "No, you." She says narrowing her eyes at me. "Whoever gets it first has the other buy them whatever they want?" "You're on." We both run into the store scanning the aisles for the guy. I spot him before she does opening the door to pull out a soda. I walk over quickly glancing back to make sure she doesn't see me approaching him. After I'm sure the coast is clear, I lean against the door next to him. "Mind getting a Dr.pepper out while you're there?" I ask putting on a sweet smile. "You can never mind when a pretty girl asks you a favor." An Australian voice floats out, a sexy accent I would kill for. He hands me the soda and I smile up at him. "This is strange and all but my friend over there really likes Aussies, could I get your number for her?" I ask pointing at Bev making eye contact with her and biting my lip even going as far as to add a wink. She glares at me as I notice him writing his number on my Dr.pepper with a sharpie hanging by the employee board, conviently located near the drinks. I take it from him thanking him before walking back towards Bev. I toss her the soda walking to the counter and ringing up the cake I grabbed on the way in. Bev runs up next to me two bags of sour patch in hand as well as another Dr.pepper. "You're welcome." I say slyly. "You're a hoe." My laughter rings out as the guy walks out taking one last look at us.