007

Qiang Xin Yi was an avid reader, especially fond of cheesy romance novels that whisked her away to far-off lands and fantastical adventures. Among her current reads is the novel called "Captivating the Prime Minister's Heart," a story that makes her life take a thrilling turn.

A playful twist of fate caused her soul to be transmigrated into the very world of the novel. But there was a catch; she found herself not in the shoes of the heroine but in the body of the notorious villainess, Chen Meng Mei.

Now, Chen Meng Mei was a character the readers loved to hate. Her cruel schemes and manipulative nature were destined to lead her to a tragic end in the middle of the story. 

The worst part for Qiang Xin Yi was that she hadn't even read half of the novel before the transmigration happened. How was she going to navigate this risky role with only a few spoilers from the other readers, mostly from the story's critics?

As for those critics, their disdain for Chen Meng Mei's character knows no bounds. Qiang Xin Yi's so-called advantage seems more like a sinister force, poised to orchestrate her demise rather than offering any practical benefits.

On the other hand, Lao'an, an invisible voice that came from the name-of-the-system-is-unknown, introduced himself as her assistant, whispering mystifying advice about her newfound identity as the villainess. 

"Be the greatest villain of all time," he said, his voice gleaming with mischief. This task seemed unsettling, and Qiang Xin Yi couldn't help but feel nervous. 

How could she embody someone so vile? Or is that always the case?

In the story, Chen Meng Mei is the eldest young miss of Chen Manor. Her di mother was a [1] Junzhu, a royal princess born into the noble imperial clan, and was adopted and raised under the care of the reigning queen dowager of the dynasty. 

Her father, the [2] Marquis of Wuling, was a man of great reputation, having earned the Emperor's favor for his exceptional leadership in constructing a life-saving dam in the Wuling region.

The family was undeniably wealthy, with privilege and status beyond comparison. And, as the eldest young miss born to a main wife, Chen Men Mmei really has a great privilege compared to her other siblings. 

Even after the untimely passing of her mother, her life continued to be comfortable, with her desires effortlessly fulfilled. While it may be expected that one without reliable guidance or support would face difficulties, Chen Meng Mei's circumstances proved to be an exception. Her esteemed position never wilted, despite the absence of her mother's physical presence.

But behind the wealth and luxury, Qiang Xin Yi sensed there was an emptiness in Chen Meng Mei's heart. Chen Mengmei to begin with had no good relationship with her father, as he longed for a son to carry on his legacy, but fate granted him a daughter instead. 

In a society dominated by patriarchy, women were deemed unworthy heirs. Thus, the Marquis distanced himself from her, and she felt an ever-growing chasm between them. Even when her mother passed away, his heart remained locked, immersed in official duties, showing no care or compassion for her mother's departure. 

His neglect wounded her deeply, leaving her yearning for love and acceptance, like a parched land thirsts for rain. Without learning the true essence of love, she sought possessions and power, thinking they would fill the void inside her, like a bottomless pit.

In contrast, Chen Xiaohua, her younger sister, born to a lower concubine, exuded serenity and grace. She was beloved by all for her kind nature and remarkable talents, like a gentle breeze that soothes the soul. Her mother's love nurtured her, and she reciprocated with warmth.

 Witnessing this, jealousy festered within Chen Meng Mei, envy consumed her heart. She couldn't bear her sister's happiness, like a storm raging against a calm sea. She didn't understand that while she, a daughter born to a main wife and has illustrious lineage, lived a bitter life. 

Yes, the elders in the manor didn't mind if she wasn't skilled in refined arts like dancing, weaving, embroidery, strategic games like Go, or playing the Guqin. [3] Or, she wasn't good at Shu (calligraphy), Hua (painting), or Su (poetry). 

Yes, she could cause chaos without facing consequences, and even after her mother left and her father treated her coldly, she still lived comfortably.

But what bothered her most was that compared to her sister, who seemed to possess everything she lacked, Meng Mei found herself surrounded by insincere faces. 

Betrayal was common, and loyalty was a rare commodity in her life. Servants gossiped behind her back, and her jealous siblings kept their distance, fueling her bitterness.

She yearned for care and love, yet no one bothered to show her kindness or teach her the ways of the world.

She hated the fact that her sister had everything she lacked, and thus, she saw her innocent sister as a rival. 

The green-eyed monster drove Meng Mei to concoct wicked schemes, like a cunning fox hunting its prey, to torment Xiaohua, whom she despised deeply.

She spread false tales about Xiaohua, sowing seeds of doubt and tarnishing her sister's image before the elders, like a vandal defacing a beautiful painting. 

Despite witnessing her malicious actions, the elders, including her father, turned a blind eye, paralyzed by tradition and status.

Little did she know that her vicious acts only worsened her own reputation. 

The people in the manor saw her as a heartless sister, while the public perceived her as an ignorant lady who couldn't bear the goodness of her innocent sibling.

[1] Junzhu - was usually granted to the daughter of a prince

[2] Marquis - in standard non-imperial titles, Hou is just below a Duke and above the rest of the ranks

[3] Three Perfections or Sanjue - which includes calligraphy, painting, and poetry