Prologue

The sunlight peeked through the windows, casting a soft, magical glow on the person lying on the bed. It was just another ordinary day, and Qiang Xinyi was feeling quite bored. To chase away the boredom, she resolved to immerse herself in the pages of a delightful cliché romance tale—much akin to the ones she had devoured time and again within the pages of novels, the frames of webtoons, and TV series.

These kinds of tales always followed a predictable pattern: a brave and resilient female protagonist who faced various challenges from the people around her. Within these narratives, she was like a helpless bunny in a forest, constantly bullied and ridiculed by ugly creatures. But right on cue, the male lead would appear, clad in shining armor, ready to be her savior. 

However, true to the formula, before he would profess his love for her, he would first mock and belittle her, pretending not to care while secretly being willing to do anything for her. And of course, there was also the second male lead, a beacon of goodness and warmth, who desperately vied for the female lead's affections. Sadly, she remained oblivious, blinded by her pursuit of the main male lead. The story would often wander away from its main plot, stretching over a whopping 500-plus chapters.

But just as Xinyi was getting engrossed in the story, her mom's voice echoed from downstairs, breaking her reverie.

"Xinyi! If I step into your room and it's still a mess, you better start packing your bags and never come back! You little troublemaker!"

Qiang Xinyi felt frustrated as she got up reluctantly from her cozy bed, having to stop reading her book. She knew she was falling behind many other readers. To catch up on those chapters she hadn't read, she had no choice but to tidy up her room. Hoping to do it quickly, she started the task, her usual clumsiness showing. But what she didn't realize was that as she took a step, there was a crumpled charger cord on the floor, and she slipped on it. Her clothes went everywhere, and she hit her head on something hard, blurring her vision and making everything go dark.

↠ ▪▪ ↞ ↠ ▪▪ ↞ ↠ ▪▪ ↞

Time slipped away unnoticed, and when she eventually regained consciousness, she discovered herself in a room basking in a gentle, warm glow. Bafflement washed over her as her vision cleared, leaving her body feeling weightless, as though she was aimlessly drifting through time and space.

All that met her eyes were four walls adorned entirely in pristine white. Her forehead furrowed with the effort to comprehend what had transpired.

Fragmented memories flickered through her mind—the twisted charger cord, her disheveled clothes, and the sudden impact that had plunged her into unconsciousness.

A faint voice, like a whisper in the wind, broke the silence. "You're awake," it said, coming from an unseen source.

She urgently and fearfully asked, "Who's there? Where am I?"

"My name is Lao'an. I am your assistant, though you cannot see me. Our system has selected you for a special program," The voice coming from 'presumably' a young boy, explained his presence.

Qiang Xinyi turned around, eager to find the source of that voice or the whereabouts of the young lad. However, all she met were feelings of a mix of puzzlement and a bit of resistance. 

"What on earth are you talking about? I must warn you that human trafficking is illegal. Take me back home; my room is still in disarray, and my mom will definitely punish me when she sees how chaotic it is!".

"Don't worry, each day that goes by in our system will feel like only a minute passing in your world. Time moves differently here," Lao'an assured in his soothing voice.

"You!..." Before Xin Yi can continue on her words, the boy has already cut her off. 

"I already mentioned that you were chosen for a special program in our system. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Once you complete your mission, you can go back home and tidy up your room."

A surge of anger surged through Qiang Xinyi, manifesting in a disdainful reply, "You little brat! What do I get out of this?" 

With a gentle sigh, the voice offered a response, "Well, imagine being able to immerse yourself in the captivating chapters of your beloved novel, traversing the story's twists and turns with unwavering delight."

"That's all? Eh! No way I'm sacrificing my life for that cheap prize."

"But I thought you really liked that story."

With a hardened voice and face, Qiang Xinyi straightforwardly answered, "Not anymore."

If Lao'an can express emotions, he must be shouting right now. Who told him it was easy to be an assistant of some cheeky brat like this girl?  With a patient voice, he asked the question he knew the answer would be, "Then what do you want?"

"Money...Unless the prize is money, I won't participate in your stupid quest."

"Very well. Upon successful completion of your mission, you shall be granted a generous sum of $100,000."

Doubt crept into Qiang Xinyi's voice, tinged with caution, "How can I trust you're telling the truth and not trying to scam me?"

In response, a holographic screen materialized, presenting an intricately designed agreement. "Behold," the voice spoke with conviction. 

"Here is our agreement, signed by me. Your signature is the only thing left. Please take your time to read through the terms and conditions. I want to assure you that there's no hidden agenda behind what I'm doing. Your trust is incredibly important. Are you satisfied with these assurances?"

The girl just casually rolled her eyes before lazily nodding. She didn't even take a moment to read the content and just quickly swiped each page. As long as there is money involved, that's enough to motivate her. A momentary silence enveloped the space, broken only by a resolute declaration, "Then let us proceed..."

"No need," Xinyi interjected firmly. "I've already signed it..."

"..."

The air hung heavy with an overwhelming silence that engulfed the entire place. Qiang Xinyi, feeling an eerie stillness, broke the quietness by calling out in a cautious tone, "Lao'an?" 

Her voice resonated through the space, seemingly absorbed by the silence. And then, suddenly, as if to break the tension, the room burst into a vibrant display of confetti. Multicolored shimmers rained down, filling the atmosphere with a festive energy.

Amidst the confetti shower, Lao'an's voice amplified, cutting through the air. "Our agreement is now done," he declared, his tone laced with a peculiar mix of satisfaction and mystery.

"Congratulations, Miss Qiang Xin Yi," Lao'an resumed, "Do your best to gain the attention of the male lead and be the number one villainess. The system will transfer your soul in... One..."

Caught off guard by the unexpected turn of events, Qiang Xin Yi's bafflement deepened, prompting her to question, "Wait, what do you mean by that?" Her voice trembled with a blend of curiosity and concern. 

But before she could receive any answers or clarification, the voice proceeded, ignoring her plea for understanding. "Two..." Qiang Xinyi's anxiety intensified, and she called out with growing urgency, "Lao'an, answer me!"

"Three... System accomplished," the voice declared, its tone resolute and unwavering. 

In that very instant, a force unseen and invisible to the naked eye struck Qiang Xin Yi with a sudden blow to her gut.  

She desperately tried to gather her thoughts, to express her frustration towards the enigmatic voice, but darkness quickly overcame her, plunging her into a state of unconsciousness.