CHAPTER 8

CHAPTER 8

A/N: Merry Christmas 2023

***********

The three pack members took another sniff, and so did Dan. They looked at each other in confusion, but Dan started to smile. He looked at the other three, and then said, "Boys, I believe you are all in for a treat. If you can handle it. That there, smells like official grade A, prime quality home style Cajun food. Either their cook is straight from the Bayou, or they were trained by one. I wouldn't ask too many questions about the meat."

"We're wolves," Ernie said. "We aren't that picky, and we can eat anything."

"Don't say I didn't warn you." Was Dan's reply, with a laugh.

About then they heard yelling from what they assumed was the kitchen "What the hell are vous doing, je said to tourner the écureuil twice. Now il is ruined, vous cooyon! Now va ouvrage sur the chaoui! Je have to arranger what vous did!"

"Yup, that would be an official coonass. I hope you guys like spicy. I know we came for burgers, but I'm going for gumbo or jambalaya. If you didn't catch what they said, there was squirrel and possum mentioned." Dan started laughing as he said it.

The other three just looked at each other and then shrugged. Burt asked, "You understood that gibberish?"

Dan, still laughing, answered,, "Yeah, a little. I use to have a Cajun friend. Taught me a few words. And 'coonass' is a term for a person of Cajun ethnicity. Some think it is offensive, others embrace it as heritage.

The four found a table and when a waitress came over they asked for beers and menus. They looked the menus over for a bit and ordered when their drinks arrived. Sam had a Rajun Cajun Burger, Ernie decided on the jambalaya, and Burt went with the gumbo.

"What is the Chef's Special today" Dan asked the waitress.

"I ain't too sure, it is the same, but different every day. I don't ask too many questions about it. So far, no one has been brave enough to try it." She threw back at him with a small smirk.

"Sounds interesting. I take it it is not wise to ask what's in it. I'll give it a try." Dan said with confidence.

The waitress was shocked. As she had said, no one had been brave enough to try this chef's special in the four months since they had arrived. No one could argue about the rest of the food. It was always amazing, but the 'Special'... Everyone had been afraid of what was in it.

"Yes Sir. I'll let the chef know." The waitress retreated to put the order in.

Dan got looked at, with awe and pity by the other patrons near enough hear them order. Soon, word passed around and everyone was watching and waiting to see what came out for him. The four were halfway through their beers, when the food came. Everyone looked at Dan's plate. On it were two fillets of mystery meat, some jambalaya, and some bright veggie side that had corn in it. Dan looked towards the kitchen and saw the chef looking out in glee.

Dan called out to the chef, "My ami, did vous cuire the swamp rat correctly? Or did vous try to tuer moi? The jambalaya and corn maque choux look aimer my mère made il." Then he started to dig in and enjoy the food in front of him. He had had nutria (swamp rat) before. Louisiana had been trying for decades to get people to eat it to help cut down on the nutria infestation, but most folks took a hard pass on that semi-aquatic rat. It was lean, so special care had to be taken. It mixed well with the sides. Dan made great noises of enjoying the food as the watching crowd looked on. They wondered what had been said, as they only understood a few words.

They ordered another round of drinks to finish their meals off, and then settled up the bill. They were quite satisfied with the quality and taste, agreeing that they should come back some time and try the other offerings on the menu.