Chapter 33: Madeline

Start from the beginning

"A date?" Madeline echoed.

"Yeah...so I'm sorry I didn't tell you this but I met my soul mate the other day," Billie informed her, casually. It was as if she was talking about what book she was reading at the moment.

Madeline stopped walking and gawked at her friend. "Wait, what? You met your soul mate? Why didn't you tell me?"

She felt hurt that Billie hadn't told her, especially when Madeline had opened up about meeting her soul mates.

Guilt clouded Billie's expression, "I'm sorry, I was going to tell you the other night but you needed to talk to me. It's not a secret or anything."

Madeline exhaled, pushing any angry thoughts out of her head. Madeline had only talked about her problems; and didn't give Billie the chance to reveal any new updates in her life.

"No," Madeline shook her head. "I didn't ask what was going on with you. I'm sorry too." At that moment, Madeline vowed to be a better friend to Billie. "Why don't you tell me about your soul mate? I want to know everything before my lecture starts."

Billie grinned back at her and looped her arm through Madeline's. "Oh, I have so much to say. Her name is Izzy Chase and she's the most beautiful woman I have ever seen."

Madeline was happy for Billie. Truly. Billie had expressed she felt nonchalant about finding her soul mate but now that she had met her, she was floored. Madeline wished she hadn't been so reluctant at first. Then perhaps she would have been able to warmly recall her first encounters with them.

"I am honestly thrilled for you. You'll have to tell me all about her tomorrow." She commanded in a playful tone. Whenever she was around Billie, she felt like she could loosen up.

"Oh, I will. You'll be sick of me talking," She joked back. Her pretty dark eyes then drifted down to her old wristwatch. "Shit, I have to go. I'll see you soon."

Madeline watched her friend disappear, sad that she wouldn't be able to tell her everything that happened with her soul mates.

She made her way inside the old building, admiring the many artworks that littered the walls. When she decided to attend this college, she was slightly apprehensive about whether it was a good fit for her. The only reason she chose it was because it was close to her home. But, after meeting her professors, she knew it was. They gave her space to think and do her work. There was never too much pressure.

Madeline easily found her lecture hall a few minutes before it was supposed to start. The woman who led the lecture was middle-aged and always showed up late. That meant that many students showed up late too.

Sliding into a seat at the back of the lecture hall, she grabbed her notepad and got ready for her lecture. Nobody usually sat next to her—not that she minded.

When Professor Myers did arrive, ten minutes late, she immediately cracked on with the lecture. She focused on a specific period of art and made everything about it interesting. Madeline's mind wondered as she listened. She knew that if Namjoon was sitting with her, he would be fascinated. She knew he loved art and history. A part of her wanted to share what she learned with him when she next saw him. However, it made her nervous to be the one to initiate it.

Still, she had to find a way to get closer to each of them. She had taken the biggest leap recently. This was nothing in comparison.

By the time her lecture was over, she rushed to her next one. After this, she was done for the day. Madeline knew she should catch up with everything she missed but she wanted to tell someone about how successful her time with her soul mates was.