"In the Slateport City Hospital," Steven replied, his voice tinged with a hint of sarcasm. "Where else would you be?"

A pang of guilt pierced Ren's heart as memories of their last encounter flooded back. "Steven," she began, her voice trembling, "I..."

Steven held up a hand, cutting her off. "Save it," he said coldly. "I'm not here to listen to your excuses or apologies."

Ren's eyes filled with tears as she struggled against the restraints binding her to the bed. "Please," she begged, her voice breaking, "I need to know. Is Riyu... Is she safe?"

Steven's expression softened slightly, a flicker of pain crossing his eyes. "She's alive," he replied tersely, "For now."

A sob escaped Ren's lips as relief washed over her. "Thank you," she whispered, tears streaming down her face.

Steven's gaze hardened once more as he took a step closer to the bed. "Don't thank me," he said bitterly. "You brought this upon yourself."

Ren's heart ached at his words, the reality of her actions crashing down upon her. "I know," she whispered, her voice filled with remorse. "I know."

For a moment, they sat in silence, the weight of their shared guilt and regret filling the room. The steady beep of the heart monitor was the only sound, a constant reminder of the fragile thread that bound them together.

Finally, Steven spoke, his voice softer than before. "You need to rest," he said, his eyes searching hers. "We'll talk later."

Ren nodded, her eyes filled with gratitude and sorrow. "Thank you, Steven," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

As Steven turned to leave, Ren closed her eyes, the exhaustion of her ordeal washing over her. Bound by fate and regret, they were two souls forever intertwined, their paths forever altered by the choices they had made.

Steven's gaze drifted out the window, his thoughts a swirling maelstrom of regret and determination. The events of the past hours played over in his mind, each moment a sharp reminder of the fragility of life and the consequences of choices made. He then left for Dewford.

He remembered the urgency in his voice as he briefed Mayu and Raiden on Riyu's abduction, the weight of the situation evident in every word he spoke. Their faces had mirrored his own shock and anger, their eyes wide with disbelief.

Raiden's fury had been palpable, his hands clenched into fists as he struggled to process the gravity of the situation. "We need to do something," he had growled, his voice tinged with anger and frustration.

Steven had raised a hand, silencing him. "Calm down," he had urged, his voice steady despite the turmoil raging within him. "We need to think this through."

Mayu's eyes had been filled with concern as she asked about Ren. Steven had hesitated for a moment, searching for the right words. "She's been taken to Slateport," he had lied, his voice betraying no emotion. "Dewford has too many victims already. She's safer there."

A heavy silence had descended upon the room as Mayu and Raiden absorbed his words, the reality of the situation sinking in. The weight of their collective guilt hung heavily in the air, a constant reminder of the choices they had made and the consequences that followed.

Now, as Steven stood alone in the hospital corridor, he knew that time was running out. Riyu's life hung in the balance, and he would stop at nothing to save her. With a determined set to his jaw, he turned and headed back towards Ren's room, his mind already racing with plans and strategies.

As Steven took the letter from Raiden, he felt the weight of the parchment in his hand, a tangible reminder of the mission that lay ahead. "Thank you," he said quietly, his voice tinged with gratitude and determination.

Brawly's voice cut through the tension, his words a welcome distraction from the gravity of their situation. "Mayu," he said, his tone light and inviting, "I challenge you to a battle tomorrow. Let's see what you're made of."

Mayu's eyes sparkled with excitement at the prospect, her earlier concerns momentarily forgotten. "You're on," she declared, her voice filled with confidence.

Steven nodded in approval, his mind already turning back to the task at hand. "I'll be heading to Slateport," he said, his voice firm. "I need to find Riyu and put an end to this."

With a final nod to Mayu and Raiden, Steven turned and walked away, his steps purposeful and determined. As he made his way out of the hospital, his thoughts were consumed by the challenges that lay ahead. But despite the uncertainty of the road ahead, Steven was resolved to see the mission through to the end.

The soft glow of the hospital room's lights illuminated Steven's face as his PokéNav buzzed quietly, signaling an incoming call. Recognizing the caller ID, Steven took a deep breath before answering.

"Wallace," Steven greeted, his voice steady.

"Steven," Wallace's voice came through, tinged with urgency. "I've been analyzing the seismic activity from earlier. It appears the earthquakes were triggered by the awakening of the Regis."

Steven's eyes narrowed, the gravity of the situation sinking in. "Regice was spotted in Dewford," he said, recalling the earlier events.

There was a brief pause before Wallace continued, "That's not all. Team Aqua has Regice, but Team Magma has managed to secure both Regirock and Registeel."

Steven clenched his fist, frustration evident in his voice. "This complicates things," he muttered.

Wallace's tone shifted, becoming more serious. "There's something else, Steven. I've heard rumors about a prophecy involving the Regis. We need to act quickly before it's too late."

Steven nodded, even though Wallace couldn't see him. "I understand," he said. "I'll do everything in my power to stop them."

There was another pause before Steven added, "There's something else you should know. Ren has returned to Hoenn."

Wallace's surprise was palpable. "Ren? Are you certain?"

"Yes," Steven confirmed, his voice tinged with concern. "I found her in Dewford. She's in the hospital now."

There was a moment of silence as Wallace processed the news. "This complicates things even further," he finally said.

Steven sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I know. But right now, we need to focus on stopping Teams Aqua and Magma. We can deal with Ren later."

Wallace agreed, his voice firm. "Agreed. Be careful, Steven. The fate of Hoenn may very well depend on it."

"I will," Steven said, ending the call. As he pocketed his PokéNav, Steven's thoughts turned once again to the challenges that lay ahead. With renewed determination, he left the hospital, ready to face whatever obstacles awaited him in his mission to save Hoenn.