ix. sunshine

Lorelei groaned at the sound of her alarm clock on her bedside table waking her up for school

Lorelei groaned at the sound of her alarm clock on her bedside table waking her up for school. Her head stayed hidden in her pillow, her eyes not ready to adjust to the sunlight just yet as she brought her hand out from under her covers to turn off her alarm.

Slowly, she lifted herself into a sitting position in her bed and opened her eyes into a squint. Lorelei brushed a hand through her hair and looked around her room. When she saw Isaac, curled into a ball and covered in blankets on the floor asleep, she rolled her eyes.

"Isaac!" Lorelei voiced, not screaming since it was still early, but loud enough to wake Isaac up. The boy jumped awake and quickly stood up. 

"What are you doing?" Lorelei asked and Isaac eased when he realized it was just Lorelei that woke him up. He nervously cleared his throat and moved to stand at the edge of Lorelei's bed to look at her. "Uh, watching... over you." He said and Lorelei held back a confused laugh.

"What?" She asked, some of her laugh escaping with her words. Isaac brought his hand up to rub the back of his neck. "Well, I wanted to make sure you weren't the third sacrifice." He said and hen he turned around and pointed to the floor. "So I made a watch post."

Lorelei pursed her lips. "But you were asleep. How are you protecting me if you're asleep?" She asked and Isaac's jaw dropped. He opened and closed his mouth, trying to come up with an answer before he bent down grabbed one of the blanket he was using throughout the night. "I got tired and I used that blanket you charmed to help you fall asleep. Knocked right out."

Lorelei snorted, finally letting her laugh out. She leaned back into her bed and cackled like a witch—which she was. Isaac rolled his eyes, holding back his own laugh starting because of how contagious Lorelei's was.

Lorelei sighed, her hand going to her heart as he laugh slowly started to die down. She looked up at Isaac and gave him a sarcastic smile. "My hero." She breathed out as Isaac walked towards her. He grabbed the pillow he was using and whacked her.

When their laughter died down, Loreleis brows furrowed, a confused look taking over her face as she looked up at Isaac. "Wait, why are you protecting me? Last I checked, I wasn't a healer, so I think I'm in the clear."

Isaac squinted at Lorelei with an "are you kidding me?" look plastered across his face. "You're a witch that heals people. It could just come under any kind of healer."

Lorelei didn't really think about that. She swallowed a lump in her throat she didn't know was forming and moved her blankets off of her.

"Yeah, well, I'm not gonna be anyone's human sacrifice today, so get ready. We have to go to school." Lorelei said, getting out of her bed. When Isaac didn't move, Lorelei turned to him. His eyes were nervously wide as he opened and closed his mouth.

"Uh... I'm not going today." Isaac said, his hand going back to his neck. Lorelei shook her head at the boy in confusion; it wasn't like he was sick or anything. "What? Why not?" She asked and Isaac looked away from her, putting his hands in his pockets.