Part 1: Sorry pathetic story

Start from the beginning

"Wait...What?!" I say as bewilderment consumes me.

"Did I understand you correctly? Th-The position has been...filled," I stutter as he hovers above me holding his hand out. I don't take it. I feel an uneasiness build in my core. I swallow as a dull uneasiness quickly becomes sharp anger. In that moment I was convinced of one thing. I wasn't moving from this chair without a job.

I look up at Mr. Wu, pinning him a grimaced look. He slowly retracts his extended hand. My finger nails dig into my palms as my hands curl into fists while fire burns in my core.

"So, you had me come all the way down here to tell me I'm overqualified and that the position is not available," I say biting down on my lower lip to keep a lid on my anger. "Sorry, but that sucks!" Too late -- the lid is off.

"Mr. Jeon, I apologize, but at holiday time we are very busy. You should have received a call. Unfortunately, these things happen." He has the audacity to offer up a tiny smile. "How about I give you a 20% off voucher?"

What the fuck! "You're kidding me, right!? Is this one of those crazy games shows where I'm being punked?"

"No sir, I assure you..."

I'm no longer biting my lip and the lid has now shattered on the floor into a thousand pieces.

"You assure me! This store assured me there was an opening! I need a job because I need to make money. The 20% off voucher would be very nice, if I had a job, Mr. Wu. How rude. And what horrible business practices. Mr. Wu, this is how you treat all you employees? Oh well, I guess I'll never know since there's no job. I spent money I don't have to travel down here. I tell you it's just rude. I want to speak to someone over your head, now!"

"Mr. Jeon, that would be the CEO and he's—"

"What, too busy?"

"Well I –" Mr. Wu tries to interject.

"And another thing. It's very cold out there. Do you know how uncomfortable it is standing out there waiting for a bus? I had to take two buses, Mr. Wu, to get here!" He patiently listens. I take a deep breath in as a bit of sanity returns to me, and the thought of getting carried out by security will not help my chances.

"I did my research on Kim's, and, I will have you know, I didn't see one negative review. Well, Mr. Wu, there will be one today."

"Mr. Jeon, there's no need for that. Kim's is a reputable company with excellent service in the community."

I lean in, careful to monitor my voice. "Mr. Wu, I don't care. I need work."

Mr. Wu looks as if he's never had to deal with a disgruntled employee before. He's probably a nice man but someone made a mistake at my expense.

"Well, l-let me see what I have." His hands shake a bit as he picks up his paper and scans it. I'm not a savage person but I will not stand for unfairness or bullshit. This is both. It's not my intention to intimidate him, however I resent his callousness in the way he attempted to toss me aside like an insect, as he's sitting behind his big desk with his comfy corporate job and salary. I once had a comfy corporate job and salary. Well, that's another story.

"Yes, let's see what we have here," Mr. Wu says, going through his list.

"Yes, you look on that paper and find me a job." I take a calming breath. As I settle, I think a little less fuel on the fire would probably be a good idea.

"Please, Mr. Wu, I need work. Sir, please." Our eyes meet and he nods and inhales and then audibly exhales.

"Surely you have a mid or low level management position. I have an accounting and marketing background also. I'd be open to those jobs as well."